Just picked up a 92 KDX200 in VA.

jeopardy98

Jan 19, 2008
Hello all, I have been reading a lot of the threads on here and I have gained a ton of information already. I picked up a 92 200 recently for what I felt to be a good price. She seems like she's been neglected a bit but I'm going to fix that. This is my first smoker but I've owned 4 strokes and I ride streetbikes as well. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined but many heads are better then one so I just wanted to say hi and have you all join me in my journey on this project.

I started tearing her apart today. She needs a good bath and lots of TLC. I have brakes, fork seals, dust seals, oil, brake fluid, filter oil, etc. all on order. I got the rear fender, tank, carb, pipe, and silencer all taken off today so hopefully when stuff starts showing up I can be ready to use it. As I was working I kept coming up with questions and as I did I snapped a few pics for reference. Hopefully some of you KDX experts can point in me in the right direction. I do have service manual on the way. It should be here this week some time.

Here she is in the middle of the teardown.

(Pic would be here)

(Pic would be here)

The first problem I noticed was that he was running the wrong plug. No big deal though because I picked up a few spares. It didn't look terrible but there's no point in not starting fresh.

(Pic would be here)

I know he was running 50:1 which is too much but this seemed excessive to me. Is it normal? (It's a shot of where the pipe meets the silencer and notice all the splooge on the airbox)

(Pic would be here)

I also wanted some opinions on why I have all this splooge on my cases. It's coming from the thing in the second picture. (remember my manual is on the way so forgive me for not knowing exactly what it's correct name is). It appears to be coming directly out of the boot in the second picture and then it runs down the hose.

(Pic would be here)

(Pic would be here)

I pulled the carb and removed all the metal parts. Does the gold circle in this picture come out of the carb assembly? Also, are there any rubber seals hidden inside that I need to remove before dipping it in the carb cleaner to soak a few days.

(Pic would be here)

and lastly, I have a few questions that don't have pics to accompany them:

First, how the heck do you all get the air box out?

Second, the regulator on my airbox lid has had both wires clipped so is there an aftermarket one I can buy?

Third, my FMF pipe is only held up to the head with two springs, one of which is missing. Is this correct or should it bolt up? I'm going to contact FMF for a replacement spring but I want to make sure I didn't miss something else.

Next, how do you all clean the oil/grease off all of your parts AND what is the best thing to use to clean the air filter? It currently has a UNI filter that is in desperate need of a bath and an oiling. I have the filter oil on the way but I need to clean it in the meantime.

Lastly, I purchased a few goodies off of ebay as well that I'm waiting on such as a new OEM kickstand for $30, a replacement rear shock for $35, and I snagged a complete top end rebuild kit for $70 including shipping. The kit comes with an OEM piston and I'm wondering if I should sell it and buy the Wiseco piston instead AND how involved is rebuilding the top end of this bike? I'll already have it mostly apart.

I know this post is way long but I have a million questions running through my mind. I'm sure I'll think of more as I sit here but for now I'll stop. I appreciate any tips, comments, answers, suggestions, or anything else that anyone has to add. I'm looking forward to getting this bike in top shape before the weather warms :ride:

EDIT: I guess I'm not allowed to post pictures or links so this thread is pretty worthless.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom