Just picked up an 03 525SX, but not able to ride til 01/01/04 (@ Muenster)

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Any suggestions? Just got the bike about 2 hours ago, but will not be able to ride it till 01/01/04. I am new to the world of Punkins, but not new to bikes, is there any thing I need to check out in the next two LONG weeks? FYI I had an 01 KX250 and an XR600.

Last edited:

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Yeah right, not until the first. Don't cry for him folks, he put her through the wringer today. Sweet ride by the way.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Congrats buddy, see ya on the 1st!

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by evenslower
Yeah right, not until the first. Don't cry for him folks, he put her through the wringer today. Sweet ride by the way.

Yes, we did go out Sunday, WOW, this thing hooks up GOOD! :yeehaw: I think my arms are about an inch longer now. :eek:

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by TexKDX
HANG ON TIGHT!!!!!

That is fer sure! We did sneak in a few hours Sunday, (was Wifes Birthday, will pay for that one). There are only a couple of things I would like to change.

(1) Lower the bars (the previous owner was 6'3", and had some spacer kit put on, I felt like I was riding a chopper, will remove those tonight)

(2) Will raise the idle speed a tad, according to the manual, it will be easier to restart the motor.

(3) Would like more gears, 4th is kinda low on the fields connecting the trails. But not sure what the expense would be to put in the EXC tranny.

(4) E-start would be cool, but probably costly.

TravisD37

Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by Grady

That is fer sure! We did sneak in a few hours Sunday, (was Wifes Birthday, will pay for that one). There are only a couple of things I would like to change.

(1) Lower the bars (the previous owner was 6'3", and had some spacer kit put on, I felt like I was riding a chopper, will remove those tonight)

(2) Will raise the idle speed a tad, according to the manual, it will be easier to restart the motor.

(3) Would like more gears, 4th is kinda low on the fields connecting the trails. But not sure what the expense would be to put in the EXC tranny.

(4) E-start would be cool, but probably costly.

The additional 2 gears are not bad. You have 2 choices install the exc 5th and 6th about $300 in parts aor the mxc 5th and 6th about $450 in parts. The exc gearing (wide ratio) will allow you to gear down first a little farther without affecting top speed as much as if you went with the mxc gearing (close ratio). However tht bike will pull the mxc 5th and 6th better but is about 10mph less on the top. but when you're doing 100mph whats 10 less?

I've done quite a few conversions drop me a e mail if you have any questions I'll be happy to give you parts list or any advice I can. TL.Smith@SBCGlobal.net

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by fatherandson
Congrats Grady.  I hope the test ride at DW '03 was helpful.

Mike

p.s Welcome to the pumpkin patch!!!

Thanks, I hope it will be a good experience, can't wait to ride it again. (six days and counting :yeehaw: )

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Originally posted by TravisD37
I've done quite a few conversions

Thanks Travis, found out yesterday that previous owner has already dropped one tooth on the countershaft sprocket, which lowered the top speed further. I may at some point add a couple of gears.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
The 6 gears and estart are the 2 main reasons I went with an MXC instead of an SX. I found an 03 SX for the same price as the 02 MXC I bought, but the estart is wonderful. I can't imagine not riding without one now, especially when you stall uphill or have to work real hard to pull your bike out of a ditch you just crashed in. Congrats on the scoot.. they are frickin amazing aren't they?

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I really dont understand why they dont offer the SX,..with the MXC tranny,...its basically the same,..with two extra gears...?..:think:  They did it in 02'.

Top Bottom