Just rejetted

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Wow! My bike has an FMF torque pipe, FMF Turbine Core, and a Boyesen RAD Valve. It seems like it is jetted ok for the low end but it always used to just stop once you opened up the gas. The guy had a 160 main jet in it. I just went to a local shop and asked for a 155 main to try out. Well, he had a 150 and gave it to me to try out. I put it in and the difference is pretty incredible. It seems a little too lean now so I may go back up to around 153-155 and see how it does. With a little practice I think I can get this thing spot on.

Peace,
Joey

PS- of course once I get the jet in and test ride it for about 30 seconds it starts to rain, my luck.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
If it's a little lean, you might cure it by moving the needle clip down. My experience has taught me to never go below the middle clip. For some reason (regardless of the jet size) the bike bogs on take off if the needle clip is too low.

Either way, congratulations and have fun getting it "dialed in"

JCW

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Does a 150 main jet sound a little too lean? What is stock jetting on a 96? Around 145 or so?

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
My bike ran like crap with a 160 in it. It wouldn't rev up, and it bogged down if you opened it all the way up. With the 150, its a a little too lean now. Thats kind of odd that if stock is 160 then my bike with mods should be lean with a 160.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
150 may be a bit lean, but how do you know. Does it hesitate? Have you correctly done a plug chop?

Coming from a descent mechanical background I thought hop-ups would require a richer set-up too, but thats not the case with this bike. (I have nearly the same set-up as you).

Jet it to feel and operate well, and forget about the numbers.

What size pilot is in it? Is the needle stock?

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I am pretty sure the main is the only one that is wrong. The bike runs good in the rest of the throttle ranges. If you open it up hard now, it hesitates for a second, but if you let off and roll on it a little slower it makes the transition fine. I am afraid to run it on the edge though so I'll probably just run a 153-155 main and drop the clip on the needle (how do you do that?).

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'how do you...'
The question raises concerns.

1. Loosen the carb boot clamps so you can rotate the carb for access.
2. Take the top off the carb.
3. Remove the slide.
4. Unhook the throttle cable (note the tang on the nylon spring retainer that must fit back into the slot on the needle holder nut.!!)
5. Remove the throttle nut. Use a socket of the correct size (6mm I think). Use of pliers will likely crush the nut..and then your not going anywhere until you get a new one.
6. Remove the needle, change the clip to the desired position.

Watch your use of the clip!! The can go s-p-r-o-i-n-g very easily, and you may not find it! A one-each clip from the corner hardware store will not fit.

For the profane of mind...they call these things 'jesus clips' for a reason. You try to put one on...it goes flying, you say 'JeSUS!' But....you don't talk like that, 'eh? Good!

Clip positions are numbered 1-5 (or 6 depending on your needle) from top to bottom of the needle...as in from the blunt end to the sharp end. RAISING the clip LOWERS the needle resulting in a leaner setting in the 1/8 to 3/4 throttle range.

Use caution when wrenching on the needle nut. If you're ham-fisted you can bend or even break the needle whilst trying to hang on to the slide while you're twisting.

Reassemble the slide/nut with neverseize. That will keep them from sticking next time.

Reattach the throttle spring (a hemostat helps..pic @ CDave's site)

Use caution during reassembly. Put no pressure on the slide/needle when you put it back in the carb. Make sure the needle enters the main jet on the way down.

Don't crossthread the carb cap back on. Easy to do. Harder to do (a good thing), if the threads are nice and clean. Maybe a spit of liquid wrench or wd40 on 'em.

Oh...is this the time to say...start with a clean carb!!! ;)

You do not want any dirt inside to hang up the slide!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…