dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
These lawsuits are getting ridiculous .Check this out!

Overweight teens file fat lawsuit against McDonald's

By SHELLEY EMLING
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

NEW YORK -- Two teenagers with big midsections have an even bigger beef with McDonald's.

Their parents, on behalf of the youths, have filed a class-action lawsuit against the fast-food giant saying the chain's unhealthy meals made them obese, which caused them to develop severe health problems including heart disease.

John Banzhaf, a George Washington University law professor who pioneered lawsuits against tobacco firms, is acting as an adviser on the case.

He said children often are unable to resist the chain's playgrounds, Happy Meals, and toy promotions often tied to the release of popular movies.

"Children clearly are not capable of making health-related decisions," he said. "McDonald's tries to attract children and has an obligation to them."

Attorney Samuel Hirsch filed the suit in the New York Supreme Court in the Bronx in late August.

The suit comes just weeks after he filed another suit against McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, and Wendy's on behalf of a 270-pound New York City maintenance worker.

That worker, Caesar Barber, 56, said he developed diabetes and suffered two heart attacks after eating the greasy fare from the fast-food restaurants four or five times a week for decades.

Banzhaf said that while Barber's suit is still snaking its way through the court system, Hirsch has decided to focus more on the suit involving children, since children can't be expected to be personally responsible for their health.

Hirsch did not respond to repeated phone calls.

The suit filed on behalf of the two teenagers claims that McDonald's contributed to their poor health and obesity by enticing them to consume larger portions through the use of "value meal" advertisements without disclosing the health effects.

The youths are asking that a jury decide how much they should be compensated for the harm they have suffered. They also want the court to order McDonald's to do more to publicize the dietary content of their products, including an educational program on the dangers of eating certain items.

Although the age of the youths has not been released, Hirsch's office said one is about 5 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 270 pounds, while the other is 5 feet 3 inches and weighs 200 pounds.

Apparently the two have been eating at McDonald's several times a week for years.

Walt Riker, a spokesman for McDonald's, said such suits have no merit.

He said the chain serves the same kinds of quality food -- beef, milk, chicken, lettuce, potatoes -- that families eat in their homes every day.

"McDonald's is a full-menu restaurant providing variety and choices," Riker said.

He said the chain makes comprehensive nutrition information available on the company's Web site, www.mcdonalds.com, and that children are becoming overweight due to an increasingly sedentary lifestyle.

The suits have resulted in a supersize round of mockery from some consumer and industry groups.

"The notion that there's no parental authority over these children is ridiculous," said Mike Burita, a spokesman for the Center for Consumer Freedom, an organization representing restaurant operators and individuals who want to preserve consumer choice. "Do little kids steal their parent's car keys and drive themselves to McDonald's?"

He said the suits have more to do with fattening attorney wallets than with thinning consumers.

Experts say the fast-food suits are a natural outgrowth of tobacco litigation, and that courtrooms can expect to see more of them in the future.

Walter Olson, a Manhattan Institute fellow specializing in legal-system issues, said it was clear that the suit was trying to cash in on the publicity over the tobacco settlements as well as reports showing rising obesity among children.

"These suits would have you believe that these kids have been robotically going to fast-food restaurants every day and that there's no one around to stop them," he said, adding that "most people should know that eating a Big Mac is different than eating lettuce."

Although Banzhaf agrees that fast food isn't inherently addictive like tobacco, he said McDonald's must provide clear health warnings just as cigarette makers do.

Banzhaf said the suits are grounded in a report released by the U.S. surgeon general last December that said obesity kills an estimated 300,000 Americans each year and costs $117 billion in health-related costs. There are nearly twice as many overweight children and almost three times as many overweight adolescents as there were in 1980.

"Even at Disneyland you find signs everywhere saying that kids have to be a certain height to get on certain rides," he said. "This should be obvious, but Disneyland doesn't want to be held liable if a parent isn't smart enough to know this."

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
So, why aren't these kids suing their parents for giving them the money to buy the meals? :think:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I'd settle for BIG MAC'S for life ...... :moon:

Random

Sep 18, 2002
Gee I screwed up raising my kids but it's not my fault. It was the evil Disney and Mc Donald's

What a waste of time and resources

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Ya know... I never liked Big Mac's but occasionally have an attack. Last time I ate 3 of 'em :silly:

I'm not even getting started on the lawsuit thing.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by Okie
occasionally have an attack. Last time I ate 3 of 'em :silly:

Okie, you may just qualify for the class action suit.

I usually stick with a Big King special, and love the Braums cheese burgers, but dang, sometimes I just have to have a BIG MAC n FRIES. Maybe there is something to this addiction, maybe like the smoke companies they add something to the meat, the fries, the secret sauce, it's a conspiracy I tell you :uh:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
McDonalds is the debbil! Sausage biscuits were put on this earth to make me thick in the middle! They are my weakness!

Who do I need to talk to so I can start my lawsuit?

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Don't you love these lawyers... "McDonalds should have warnings anout their food...Disney does about height requirments to get on rides..."

I can see it now, "sorry, you must be under 185 pounds to order a BIG MAC...

I'm shocked the lawyers haven't sued Disney for height discrimination...

Pathetic.

What's the difference between a dead skunk in road and a dead lawyer...?

...There are skid marks in front of the skunk.

In some labs, they began using lawyers in place of test rats... Why? because there are some things even rats won't do.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
This is whats funny,two TEEN AGE BOYS;

unable to resist the chain's playgrounds, Happy Meals, and toy promotions

There's a problem here :) :)

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Just let em spend some time at Badgerman's boot camp! I'll whip their sorry butts into shape. :aj:

Man, this is such a slippery slope! I am waiting for some clown to sue A. Busch cause he can't see his feet anymore! :silly:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
So Mark, I guess it is the wife who treats 'lil Eric to Ronalds Kiddie meal now and then :p ;)

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
:eek: :) :) :) Oh my lord that article is HILARIOUS!!! Next thing you know they'll be claiming that there are low amounts of cocaine in the grease used to cook the fries.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hey, I'm just waiting for the day DRN gets hit with a lawsuit for causing emotional distress, break up of marriage, job loss, decrease in productivity, eating disorders, broken crappers, etc etc :scream: :uh:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
SHHHH, Bundu! There are attorneys here. You don't wanna give em any ideas. :p

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Arbys for me! I don't care if it cost's almost 7 bucks for lunch, it's good! As for a splurge on dinner it's Subway! 12" double roast beef with the works no Jalapinios(SP), light on the mayo and oil!

185 and loving it! I did ballone up over 216 :( Down to what I should be ;)

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by BunduBasher
decrease in productivity

Yeah if I didn't have DRN, I might actually have to do real work during the day! :aj: I'm suing if this sight goes down!!! :yeehaw:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
McDonald's must provide clear health warnings just as cigarette makers do.
:| perhaps the health warning should read "being an idiot is hazardous to your health"
I can see it now, having to sign a waiver to order some fries, some people...

Top Bottom