danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
Hey everybody,

I would like to learn more about photography; the hardware, the techniques and strategies, and overal fundamentals.

I have had a digital camera for some time now. It's an Olympus, and the only reason I bought it was because it has the beefiest lens cover on it of any camera I've seen (I figured I needed a rugged camera to take riding).

Now, I've come to a point where I can start to appreciate good quality photos, and would like some advice as to what a good beginner camera would be, as well as any books out there that may help as well.

I'd like to spend less than 400.00 on the whole setup, if this is possible...? I know one can spend thousands on cameras, but I want to start slow, so that I can make sure that it is something I really want to pursue.

Thanks

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
You're probably going to need to look at used equipment in that price range. Even that will be tough, as photography is an EXPENSIVE hobby. In my opinion if you're just starting out, don't waste money on equipment. Learn how to shoot and learn all the terms and what they mean. Learn about lighting and the rule of thirds etc... Hell just use your current camera and go around shooting anything/ everything. Look for good composition. The more you shoot the better you'll get. If anything, spend some money on lessons at your local community college. Who was it that posted the pic of the old truck on the farm a while back? They did it with a camera phone but it was a very cool shot. LOL Get books, read the 'net etc... Learn all you can about what it takes to be a good photographer first. THEN, once you've learned a few things and saved a few more pennies you'll be able to truly utilize any equipment you buy. :cool:

Take it from me...I did it backwards. I've got a box and a few cool lenses. Someday I'll learn how to use them. :laugh:

Hergert521

Mar 17, 2008
Green Horn said:
You're probably going to need to look at used equipment in that price range. Even that will be tough, as photography is an EXPENSIVE hobby. In my opinion if you're just starting out, don't waste money on equipment. Learn how to shoot and learn all the terms and what they mean. Learn about lighting and the rule of thirds etc... Hell just use your current camera and go around shooting anything/ everything. Look for good composition. The more you shoot the better you'll get. If anything, spend some money on lessons at your local community college. Who was it that posted the pic of the old truck on the farm a while back? They did it with a camera phone but it was a very cool shot. LOL Get books, read the 'net etc... Learn all you can about what it takes to be a good photographer first. THEN, once you've learned a few things and saved a few more pennies you'll be able to truly utilize any equipment you buy. :cool:

Take it from me...I did it backwards. I've got a box and a few cool lenses. Someday I'll learn how to use them. :laugh:

Good point about doing your research. I took hundreds, probably thousands of photos before I figured out how to use the features on my camera. Took a class at the Technical College in a near by town, it's worth it because they teach you the terms like you said in your post:) And I still don't know what I'm doing half the time...but slowly I'm learning.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom