team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
I will be getting a 97-01 KDX200 this summer and was wondering how is the powerband hit compared to a KX125? (ive heard that a 80 hits harder then a KDX) but, does it still have enough power to throw the front end up when it hits?

Thanks

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I would advise you to take one for a test ride first before buying. Are you riding trails or MX? People take them on MX tracks occasionally, but they come into their own in the woods.

I used to ride a YZ80, which was renowned for lofting the front end going up hills, etc, a real MXer, no bottom end, fun, but not really what I was after.

Anyway, I love the KDX, it's mellow, to me it's the four-stroke of the 2-stroke family, but you can easily loft the front (over logs etc). Definitely take one for a ride before you buy one to make sure you know that is what you want.
Hope that helps some
Michelle

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Don't confuse "hit" with power. An 80 hits hard, but does not make the peak power of the KDX, nor does an 80 have anywhere near the torque of the KDX. With a few simple mods to improve output and response, neccessary anyway to release the performance that Kawie stuffed in behind the cork:p, the KDX becomes an excellent performer that can loft the front wheel at will, and yet does not have the traction-breaking hit of an MX bike.

Think of the KDX as a 125 with much more torque and seamless power.

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
Michelle~

yeah ive sorta rode one but it was a 99' KDX220 with FMF chamber/ S/A, fredette engin, Reeds, MX tech suspension, and with a gearing of 13-47 at the time but, now it has a 13-50, bord carb.

If you dont know the bike above is 70 marlins bike.
Ill be riding trails, gravel pits, upper michigan SANDY trails, and mess around with a track or 2.

Spanky~

the mods im going to do to it is FMF chamber/ S/A, Reeds, MX tech suspension, and gear it to gearing of 12-50

Thanks for anyone who replys

Last edited:
Top Bottom