Kawasaki KLX300R as a first bike?

rvd6042

Dec 31, 2005
hey guys,

great site...this is my first post.

i've done the searches....

im looking into getting a bike to tour logging roads and singletrack here in British Columbia. i have next to no riding experience aside from alittle playtime on an old yamaha enduro circa 79. i do have lots of experience riding downhill mountainbikes on the nastiest trails and hope that helps alittle with the learning curve. i way 220lbs and am 6'4'". im liking the KLX300R. i do like to challenge myself once i get comfortable with things. is this the right package for me? or is this too much bike? or too little at my weight? thanks!

GS

Jun 29, 2003
Hi there,
I have a KDX220, not licensed..as well as a 1984 xl600 thumper single. I am not familiar with the KLX, but the KDX is great. You may want to consider getting a bike that can(not necessarily at this time) be licensed. It is my understanding that to "legally" use Forest service roads in BC you must have insurance...if you worry about things like that.
Weight: I'm 225+ and the KDX220 works for me. I expect the 300 would offer more power, but where does it deliver this power? Fireroads seem to need more on top, but nothing is sweeter than instant thrust in the low-mid range on twistie single track. Hard to beat the KDX for that!
If you get the 300, how about a rider report?
Greg

rvd6042

Dec 31, 2005
thanks GS,

good point about needing insurance on the FSR's....do those guys pack heat like the fisheries guys :P i dont need any tickets to sour the adventure thats for sure. i believe the the KLX comes licence ready out of some shops with minor mods. im liking this bike because the suspension looks good for the price, and id like some adjustability. also the 300cc seems like a good place to start for my weight. i do plan to get involved in the scene and do all my own maintanance....and of course a review would have to follow, even though i couldnt compare it to much.

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
The KLX is easy to ride and that makes for a great bike for somebody new to dirtbiking. Dick Burleson and Larry Roessler rode highly modified ones for a while so it can work for the highest skill levels. However, it has some problematic mechanical issues described at this site:

http://www.klxzone.co.uk/tech_carbicing.html

I think Kawasaki fixed the idler gear problem. The shift star I think is still defective and will need replaced with an aftermarket model.

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
An XR400 would fit you height/weight better but you would have to get a used one. They are bullet proof.

A Suzuki DRZ400 might fit better and is very reliable.

rvd6042

Dec 31, 2005
i havent really looked that high at the 400 class bikes....i'll check them out. i also really like the honda CRF250X as it has the lights, electric starter and a lighter dry weight of 225lbs....also the kabaya suspension is good stuff right? although is more cash than the KLX300r.....

GS

Jun 29, 2003
In BC (I think) insurance rates climb dramatically when over the 400cc mark..if that is ever an issue. I would look at the reliability, weight and handling more than displacement. You know..the FUN factor.

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
The CRFX is by far the best handling of those mentioned. The downside is that it requires a lot more maintenance and reliability is much poorer. I know of too many engine failures for me to buy a CRF250X. I would be more inclined to get a WR250F. It performs as well as the CRFX and has something the CRFX does not - A warranty. The WR250 is still high maintenance and is not as reliable as the XR or DRZ

rvd6042

Dec 31, 2005
the yamaha looks good....and warranty is important....i'll look into what they offer. is it really that easy to blow and engine? i dont mind doing routine maintanance, but if i buy new i'd like the bike to last awhile before i had to do costly repairs....thanks for all the help so far guys! i cant wait to get a bike!

GS

Jun 29, 2003
rvd...my 2 cents..go for reliable. If you ask around, many of the 250 "highly stressed" engines REQUIRE expensive maintenance to valve trains etc. This will cost lotsa money and down time. They are great performers for their weight, but you can always move that way after you've cut your teeth on an easier-to-live-with-bike. You know..its a little like trying to keep an extremely beautiful woman happy with you, sometimes more work than its worth.
You may have to decide just how much that extra 15% performance is worth.
A mediocre rider on a fast scoot will almost always drop behind a smooth and quick rider on a lesser bike. Its more fun to prepare and optimize your bike than to spend time and $ overhauling the bloody thing.

rvd6042

Dec 31, 2005
thanks for the help GS,

are you saying that 2-strokes are going to be more reliable in the long term? and will get less fatigued hauling my 220lb butt up and around the mountains?

i have somewhat been turning a blind eye to the two strokes since there power band kinda scares me alittle....although they are tamed down in the non-mx versions im assuming.....ill do more research in that area aswell......and will check out that site.

thanks!

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
If you can get a license for two strokes where you are at then my choice would be a KTM 200 EXC. It performes better than the WR or CRFX and is more reliable. It also requires less maintaince and it weighs less. And it costs less, also. But KTM parts are more expensive. The powerband is managable and it has more power than the 4strokes.

GS

Jun 29, 2003
Two strokes will cost less than a hi-performance 4 stroke... cams, seats, valves, etc just costalotta! But some swear by em and I am not knocking 4 strokes at all. The KDX is as close to a 4 stroke as any 2 stroke I know of and reliable as anything on two wheels. You will be impressed with the sheer grunt power right off idle...if the jetting is close. There is a lot of help available in that regard.

I always like to have the seller tell me how he maintained it...in his own words...without me asking. Just a test of credibility. Thats not to say the one you buy (used) won't need a topend overhaul ($115 to $180 USD is typical) If you buy new its easier. It is also widely reported that the KDX220 will require a Wiseco in order to avoid a known piston issue that may or may not occur, but the cost of a failure is very high and the change to the Wiesco relatively cheap(115USD+/-) The KDX200 seems to have escaped the problem. I have a 220, but the guys on 200s SWEAR they're better. Both bikes require new fork springs almost immediately unless you weigh under 90#. But they are cheap and easy to change(got to do mine yet) the stock forks are goofy soft but Honda xr400 of some series or other slip right in
By the way, my XL600 Honda single doesn't have near as much snap off the bottom end of the rpm range as the KDX220 does.
Lastly, the 220 will haul your 220# at least as well as my 220#+ It is more than adequate..and I like power!

You'll have fun on whatever you get!!
Greg

Last edited:

rvd6042

Dec 31, 2005
the kdx220 looks really good. i checked out a video review at motorcycleusa i believe it was. i love the sound of the 2 stroke! i can imagine that the low end grunt would come in handy especially when in the muck, close to stalling. is the 220 available in canada new? i couldnt see it on the kawi website. one that was available was the klx250 dual purpose and is road ready off the floor if thats what i end up needing....although its heavier and the tires are scaled down. i guess if i want the best of both worlds, there are sacrifices.....man this is tough for me especially since im a natural procrastinator......and i just want to make sure that once the initial thrill wears off, and i get comfortable on a motorbike, that im happy with the investment. thanks to all those who helped and more opinions are welcome!

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
there is an older guy where i live, and he rides a KLX300 4 stroke. and he put a hot start in it and he loves it. i was thinking of getting a KLX300 but got an 82 KDX 175. which is a PITA bike to get parts for.

apb

Feb 1, 2005
rvd6042 said:
is the 220 available in canada new? i couldnt see it on the kawi website

hmm, looks like its not sold in canada anymore. here in the states, the kdx220 was phased out last year, but the 200 is still available -- might be the last year.. i'm sure you can find a decent used one though -- good luck on the bike search

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

The KDX line has been discontinued in Canada :(

It is still a great bike though, and not hard at all to find a very nice one used. I have the 220 and I absolutely love it, great for just putting along, and equally as great for ripping around when you want to. I would highly recommend looking into them.

Top Bottom