j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
I have been searching for a new 250cc dirtbike under $1000, and almost 50% of the dirtbikes I have found are 84-88 kx250's. Is there a reason that everyone wants to get rid of these?

I just went to look at one, a 1984, for $400. It is missing the radiater shrouds, brake pedal (and brake rod), side number plates (I don't care about these), and does not have a title.

The kid who has it now bought it from a friend who's neighbor gave it to him because it was "all crapped up." The kid who has it now put a new used rear fender on it and a new used rear tire that has somewhere between 3/8" and 1/2" of tread still on it. He also "rebuilt" the carb. I'm not sure what he meant by that, but he finished the sentence with something to the effect of "but it needs adjustment and I don't know how to set it." He also pulled the packing out of the muffler, saw that it was totally soaked in spooge, and put it back in again. When he fired up the bike for us (started third kick), I had to plug my ears because it was slightly louder than your average Harley at 5000 rpms (this was the bike idling). It then died 20 seconds later (he blamed it on the carb settings, my stepdad who is a mechanic thinks that the muffler might have choked it to death).

My stepdad thinks that it was a little low on compression (I forgot to bring the compression gauge), and when he turned it over by hand, you could hear a kind of slight hissing/windy sound on the compression stroke. My stepdad thinks air was getting past the rings. Could this sound have been the power valve (I know that's not what kx's have, but its something similar, don't remember the name) or something?

Oh, yeah, the exhaust pipe is covered in a nasty braze job (but they missed a crack) right in front of the muffler, there's a ton of spooge where the pipe meets the cylinder (the kid says it just needs a new O ring), and some idiot welded the kickstarter onto the shaft.

Anyways, is this bike worth $400? I can do any neccessary work, but parts can be pricey. I'd probably try to offer him $300 or $350 if I decide to get it.

Ok, one more question. There is another 1984 kx250 for sale for $200. It is missing the cylinder and head. (and possibly the piston, I forgot to ask the guy to clarify). No title. I have not yet seen this one because it's a 90 minute drive. I'm supposed to be getting pics in the mail around monday. It's supposed to be in good condition other than the missing top end. So, first of all, what year top ends are interchangeable, and second of all, if it's in decent shape, is this a better deal than the other one?

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
Oh, I almost forgot. I was unable to determine whether it had any oil in the tranny. I looked in the little window for checking the oil, and it was a dark creamish color. It didn't look dark enough to be showing oil, but didn't look very clear either. I tipped the bike to about a 45 degree angle each way, to see if it would change color, but it did not. I looked in the filler hole, and the only parts I could see, near the top, were wet with oil. I figure the bike was either totally out of oil, or that the window is ruined. Does it hurt to start (but not ride) a 2 stroke when it doesn't have tranny oil?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
It sounds like a LOT more trouble than it is worth. I would look elsewhere.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
I don't really mind the work. I enjoy fixing things, especially dirtbikes (until I scrape half the skin off my hand, smash my fingers, or impale myself with a screwdriver) then I hate it with a passion, for about 10 minutes :) What I'm really worried about is the cost of parts.

As for the no title problem, I have only found one bike in the last month within my price range that had a title. And it had a shredded transmission and clutch. My uncle is gonna check the vin number, in case the kid happened to "borrow" the bike without returning it...

And I have discovered multiple ways to get orv tags without a title, so that's not really a problem.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Yes, you can often get a tag without a title on bikes past a certain age with just a bill of sale. As a matter of fact, on bikes that old here, they don't even want to see the title, just a bill of sale.

The bike will cost you five times its value to restore to decent condition, and then you will still have a bike that is worth next to nothing. I would say yes to buying the bike if it was in decent condition, but this thing sounds like a heap!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
"""The bike will cost you five times its value to restore to decent condition,""""

No joke! Been there and done that. What Stud says is very true. It is almost like ANY bike that is going to be dependable and fairly decent to ride is going to cost 1500.00-2000. Your far better off paying a little more now than trying to fix someone else's mistakes.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
The problem is I don't have that much money, and It'll be a couple months before my parents will let me get my license so I can get a job...

I found another bike today, a 1991 Suzuki rmx250. the guy is selling it because he seized the piston. The cylinder looks ok, but has a few chunks of aluminum stuck to the sides near the top. The guy who owns/siezed the bike wasn't there, and I haven't been able to contact him, so I don't know the specifics. He wants $250 for it, no title. I felt for play in the lower connecting rod bearing (some one took the head and cylinder off and removed the garbage piston), and there was no up and down movement, but a slight amound of side to side play. When I call him, what should I ask about, and if I go look at the bike again, what do I need to pay extra attention to?

mobrown

Jan 26, 2004
1991 Cr250

I just bought a CR250 for $900 and it runs perfectly... needs nothing but a little paint. Point is that you can find a 250 below $1000 and get a good bike. Just takes a little patience.

Take your time and you will find what you want.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
elf said:
Buy both the the bikes and make one good bike out of the two.

That might work, depending on the condition of the second one (still no pictures). But, if the second one is in good condition other than the missing top end, there would be no point in getting the first one, which apparently has never had a top end job.

I finally got ahold of the dad of the owner of the suzuki. He said that some shop said that it needed a new cylinder as well as a new piston. He said that the cylinder has a chrome lining only a few thousandths of an inch thick, that can not be bored. He said the cylinder, piston, and gaskets were $250-$300. I think I'll look around on the internet and see if I can find a cheaper top end. Then I'll either get the Suzuki or the second Kawasaki (depending on the condition of the kawa)

Would the Suzuki be a better choice because it is newer? I am 6 feet, 34" inseam, 140 lbs, and ride mostly trails in washington.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
The guy was wrong, the Suzuki is a 1992, not a 91.

Is it cheaper to have a sleeve put into the cylinder, or buy a new one?

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
Is the top end on the RMX the same as the RM? I've heard that the two share the same motor with different gearing, but want to make sure. I found a replated cylinder for an RM on Eric Gorr's site

Top Bottom