Kawasaki Optional Fork Springs ?

K Dixon

Oct 25, 2002
Has anyone tried the optional factory springs ?
From what I can tell from this site and others, I should be using a .38kg spring for my weight ( 180 lbs ). The strongest factory springs in the shop manuel are listed as .74kg. I assume this is divided by 2 springs to give .37kg/ spring. My dealer can't get Fredette springs. Would these by close enough ? What is the best fork oil to use. THANKS.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
http://www.buykawasaki.com

lists the optional springs available...just a btw.

'Can't' get fredette springs? FRP doesn't send stuff over the border? Where'd CDave get his?

To each his own, but I'd guess .40s would suit you better.

Jeremy recommends mobil1-atf for home refills. 100mm level probably a good place to start.

No, I didn't try or research factory springs. Considering prices of other parts from kawi, I'd doubt they'd be reasonably priced.

I wouldn't want a 470mm spring anyway....but that's another issue.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
I got my 03 KDX 200 a week before the millfiled OH GNCC and was in a panic becasue i had just sold my kx125, I called my dealer and had the .37kg springs overnighted, went to FCR the next day and had him do the suspension. Its works great, i still might get the .38 from FRP since i am racing 200B this year, going to be a lil faster. Other then that the factory kaw springs are ok. I think im going to try a few diffirent spring since i just got a brande new set of forks from a friend. i'll let you know what i like better

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
kx 693 I dunno how much you weigh but if your fast enough to be a B rider then you might consider some stiffer springs.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
Yea I weigh 155, I'm new to the KDX i have been modifying mx bikes to race for the past 7 years. Cole Calkins a Pro GNCC guy rced a kdx 200 in the 200A class a few years ago, but he put a kx front end on it before he even rode it, and sole me the stock front end wheel, tripple clamp, nd forks for $50 so i couldent pass it up. I'm going to have FCRset it up the same as my Front end i have now only with some stiffer springs, and try that out at some races. I do like my front end softer then mst people, but i think the .37kg's might be too soft.

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
Why bother having the dealer do the job?  I mean, well, maybe you really like the dealer and I understand if that is the case but if not, just send the forks to FRP and let him do the work.  He will do the whole job including the gold valves and the springs for a decent price....

When I had mine done, Fredette was 40% less than having my dealer do the job.  Frankly, I would rather a guy who only works on my bike do the job than the guys at the dealer who mainly work on street bikes and KX's.  Not to mention, supporting Fredette who is a great guy and a fantastic rider to boot.

On the FRP note, Congrats to Jeff on starting and finishing his 22nd ISDE.  Americans didn't look too good this year but we knew Jeff would come through as usual.  Silver medal too!!  :thumb:

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
What do you mean my dealer do it? FCR is a suspension company, who does suspension for some of the top GNCC guys as well as myself and my brother, he is located in Ohio abuot an hr. from my house. His prices are alot cheaper then pro-action and MX-tech, if u are coming in off the street, he does my work for the price of parts, and he does all of the revaling, and also has his own valves. I have ridden a few diffirent sspension companys and his is by far the bet yet. However I do plan on getting thesprings from FRP.

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
Originally posted by kx_693
What do you mean my dealer do it? 

Actually, I was not responding to you but rather to the author of the post who asked the question:

Originally posted by K Dixon
The strongest factory springs in the shop manuel are listed as .74kg. I assume this is divided by 2 springs to give .37kg/ spring. My dealer can't get Fredette springs. Would these by close enough ? What is the best fork oil to use.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
sorry about that, i hope ididnt come across being mean, i didnt mean it that way, anyway thanks for clearing it up.

mrmodine

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 2, 2002
no problem at all...and no offense taken.  It can be hard sometimes to understand what somebody meant with typed words only.

L8ER!

Christopher

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…