Kawasaki...Politically correct.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
Why is it? In the new Kawasaki motocross ads, in certain magazines they have a model with a bikini on and others they blot the bikini top out.

Not that I noticed or anything.:confused:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
All the Hi-Torque mags (Dirt Bike, MXA, Motocross Jour--oh yeah, that one's gone!) won't print any of those ads with the hot chicks and words like "God"--they don't want to offend anyone (except 125 SX riders).

Stick with RacerX. They're the best.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Hi-Torque also doesn't accept ads for cigarettes or booze. Whether you agree with these policies or not you should admire their integrity.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
If they banned fat old fart know-it-all losers in mid-life crisis and deleted everything in their mags except the bike pictures and ads, I'd buy it. :silly:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Dr.billZ
I applaud their integrity.

It's a shame it doesn't extend to all facets of the magazine :silly:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Quote (from Nephron):
"If they banned fat old fart know-it-all losers in mid-life crisis and deleted everything in their mags except the bike pictures and ads, I'd buy it."

Really? Speaking as an old-fart loser right in the epicenter of a midlife crisis, I think I resent that. Truly, though, I think that Dirt Bike and some of the other mags get a bad rap. There's no doubt that they are favorably disposed toward their big advertizers, but I really don't believe that anything so crude as a quid pro quo is going on. I just think that the Yamahas, for whatever reason, have suited their testers' personal tastes better than the other bikes. And let's face it; the Yamahas have been very good lately.

Also, in fairness to them, they always point out that all the bikes are very close, and that different riders will prefer different bikes. Personally, I like to see them pick a winner, even if it is somewhat arbitrary. I don't like the tests where the ultimate judgment is, "These are all good bikes, and depending on your style, any one of them can work for you." While that may be true, I read for entertainment as well as information, and I like to see how they came down on the issue of choice.

Anyway, I really think that while we might disagree with their picks, there's no need to insult the editors personally and to accuse them of corruption, without some good proof. Is there any credible evidence of impropriety, or is this all just supposition?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Journalistic integrity in my mind extends far beyond "whose bike is best" . My complaint has never been with which bike they pick as best. Generic opinion is exactly that. People who base their buying decisions solely on a magazine test from High Torque deserve what they get.
Their lack of commitment to providing an overall high quality product is my sore spot with them. I'm of the belief that if people who come here to post can take the time to do some basic research and provide quality information, then guys who do it for a living should be held to at least as high a standard. Like I said integrity can take many forms.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I stand by my opinion.
Those responsible for that mag should be embarassed and humiliated . The KEY here is that Jody and Roland act like they're kids. They're not. There's nothing wrong with being a little self-deprecating, particularly at that age. It's as if the bully suddenly grew up. These guys are class acts, alright. It's hilarious. I read "Jody's Box" or "On the Mainjet", or...something like that the other day. What a joke. Not only poor journalism, but actually "in your face" type "I'm so important" stuff that nobody cares about. ...out testing this and testing that...give me a break.

As regards their "objectivity" and "fairness"--ha. What a joke. Did you NOT read the last issue? Their obvious dependence and reliance on Yamaha is almost "parasitic", except in this case, the relationship would rather be described as symbiotic.

And the overweight midlife crisis statement was directed at them, not other self-respecting folks in the sport, such as yourself. Please chill. I obviously wasn't referring to you or anyone else.

Yes, as Rich will remember, it was only a few months ago that I was asking why all the negative comments directed toward these guys. I still believe that, after that point, my own conclusions were drawn objectively.

Top Bottom