rvguy

May 31, 2002
Just venting here.......
The KDX has under gone many changes in the last 12 years or so, but almost none in the last 5. Every year they just seem to get new graphics. Now, with this Kawasaki / Suzuki merger, what do we have to look forward to? Kawasaki has already got a KLX400, which is just a sweet looking DRZ. Every year the popular bikes get refinements, is the KDX not a popular bike? When was the last time Dirtbike magazine did a serious review or hop-up on one? I have met more people out in the woods with a KDX than XR's, WR's and DRZ's put together. Atleast these guy's have something to look forward to. The only good part I can see about this merger, is that I may be able to go to the Honda / Suzuki dealer next door to get the parts I need for my KDX. Hey, beats the 45 minute ride to the nearest Kawi dealer......
I am seriously considering unloading my KDX for a new KTM or GAS Gas! I have always been a DIE HARD Kawasaki guy, but I have never liked Suzuki's!
Anybody else have an opinion?

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
WHy change something that blows all the others out!!!! I guess the other bikes have room for improvement. I dont think anybody can make a better then the KDX. KDXs are the best woods bike ever!!!! We change it!!!!! Let me ask you this,,,, What do you want new and different on your kdx? A toaster? You have to remember that a gas gas and ktm are both good bikes too but also there are twice as much in price. Best Bang For Your Buck,,,,,,,,,,KDX!!! Hands Down!!!

rvguy

May 31, 2002
"What do you want new and different on your kdx? A toaster? "
Well, Speedy, lets start buy doing something to improve the front suspension. Maybe the whole inverted fork was a good idea. The stock forks work, if your 13. How about the seat / tank combination? How about using an engine that has some power......stock?
The KDX is a great bike for the money, but it's a play bike in stock form. You might think that if the KDX was the best woods bike ever maybe Destry Abbott would be on one? Hell, the only reason some poeple think it's a great woods bike is because it has friendly power and a short wheel base. I don't mean to down the bike, it is a great toy, but i've had to do too many modifications to make it worthy or my riding style. By the time I get it the way I like it, I could have bought a GAS GAS.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
YOu need to remember what you are starting with. A 2 stroke bike that is like Green sticker for the woods. IE quiet to please the enviros out there. That is not always an easy thing to do.

Also look at the WRs , DRZs and XRs. Do they come stock ripping like they are uncorked? Hell no! You have to mod all those bikes out also for maximum power. Open the intake and exhaust up just like the KDX bikes.

When you do step into a bike like the KTM you pay more for the package but it comes almost complete. There is not a whole lot you can upgrade on those bikes and that is the appeal. But how much does a pipe, silencer, filter, removal of a few baffels, some carb needles, jets and a possible revalve on the suspension cost? $3500 - the price of a KDX? heck no! 1000-1500. So you are not close to the price of a KTM and you have a bike that is customized to your riding at that point in power and suspension.

Okay now the styling, well seems that most bikes are going for a flat ride. meaining that from the fender to the tank filler is flat. yamaha, honda and KTM are all that way. personally I cannot stand that, I like how the older bikes and the KDXs have a dip in the seat. It is all personal preference.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Well i dont know about you but i spent a 150.00 on my front end and its super nice. Everybody knows that if you buy a bike,no matter if its brand new,old,or any color, your gonna have to make some changes to make the bike fit you. Theres always something you have to do. The seat /tank combo?? Whats wrong with it? I love the big tank on the KDX so?? A engine with some power??? The 500s are the only bikes that i could buy and not have to change the power of the motor... My Kdx out runs my kx250 in top end!!! And almost keeps up right out of the hole! It is the best woods bike!! For the money. yeah its family orriented out of the box but it can be racey too. And yeah maybe it isnt the best competition bike but FRP thinks so, who cares what Destry thinks!!! hehe! and no that isnt the only reasons people like the kdx! Friendly Power? How about the reason people like it is cause its a cotrollable 2 stroke that feels like a 4 stroke with a wide power range but still has the 2 stroke hit! The wheel base is nice in some circumstances but no biggy! The motor out of the box out runs a box stock 250 in top end, 50's in mph is a little slow for me unlike the 60+ the kdx does out of the box! The big tank on the kdx is what i wish the kx/cr/yz/rms had sometimes. I ride 3 hours not 30 mins!!! In Mich. its a plus to have a big tank other wise,,,it sux!!!! 6-SPEED TRANSMISSION!!!! What can i say!! The tranny is the biggest thing i like about the KDX! I love the wide ratio and the huge power range that it has! There is so many things i like about these bikes i could go on 4-ever! Yes i know what you mean, it isnt a full competition bike but i dont care how much you put into it, If you could have bought a GasGas with the money that you spent on the KDX, you got ripped on the price of the parts or something cause mine is almost fully restored from the ground up and i could buy a 2nd one and still be under the price of a GasGas!!! For the money, The Best Bang For your Buck is no doubt the KDX for the normal consumer!! WHats your problem, You got the money? Go Get the GasGas and sell that KDX to someone that is worthy of it!! LOL Dont take this all seriously its just my 2 cents and i am nobody so.... go figure!!!

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I remember in the '80s and early '90s when the RMX was the woods racing bike to have. Since then the serious racers started taking MX bikes and converting them to woods, so the big 4 only made woods bike for play and not serious racers. Now KTM has raised the bar so to speak, on serious woods racers and the Yami 4-strokers also. I have to give the XR an honourable mention just because Scott Summers dominated the GNCC on the XR600 for so long. How he rode that beast on those tight eastern trails at that speed is a totally mystery! :)
By the way, does anyone have a link to any info on the merger. The only thing I've seen about it is what has been posted on here.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
The motor out of the box out runs a box stock 250 in top end
um, I am speechless... have you actually ridden a 250 2 stroke? They are so much faster it isnt even fair. That was one of the things I disliked about my KDX when i owned it, the bottom end was great, but WOT left a lot to be desired... and that was modified with pipe, airbox, jetting, porting, rad valve.
stock, the power was even more tame. It didnt come close to any 250 I have ever ridden.

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
Ive kicked a couple of -RMX 250 asses -on my "98 200 w/ mods.
BIGGER DISPLACEMENT dosent allways mean "faster"
Its all about the tuning, the mods & the rider.
I've had a 125cc kick my ass!!! (better rider) read my post in the" KDX 50 forum" concerning future of KDX/DRwhatever.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
An RMX stock is in need of serious help. Open the intake, do the pipe and RM headgasket along with tinkering of the carb and viola!

Stock vs Modified is comparing 2 different things. Also the rider has a lot to do with it.

I will agree that with the 6sp in the KDX200/220 there is a faster top speed vs a 250 mx bike. The MX bikes have the close ratio box and 5sp.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by Matt90GT
I will agree that with the 6sp in the KDX200/220 there is a faster top speed vs a 250 mx bike. The MX bikes have the close ratio box and 5sp.

I will have to disagree with that. My KDX has stock gearing and my buddy, on his RM 125, can fly past me when I'm at WOT in 6th on a straight road. :think: But he has no where near the torque I have. I could actually care less about top speed; dosn't mean anything to me.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Fatty -- 250 -- Two Hundred and Fifty or 2 x 125=250.

Most 125s have a 6 sp gear box giving greater top speed. The 250s are short on top speed unless you gear them for it, but then you loose low speed gearing for the woods.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
WHAT ABOUT THE SUZUKI POWER KLX 125 FOR 03
A KTM IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY I HAD A 00 KDX 200
AND THERE IS NO KDX 200/220 THAT CAN OUT PERFORM
AN MX 250
ITS ALL THE RIDER NOT THE BIKE

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Yeah, The Stock KDX wont out run A KX, I meant to say that with a few mods on the KDX it will out run a stock 250 in the top end. I do it all the time. Could be riders,could be the bike not running properly, I dont know but it does happen dude.....

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
this thread is getting heated? i know 3 things about dirt bike riders 1 for sure.1 i think we all love off rd and dirt bikes .2 i know the "best bike" is the bike that's best for you and that is diff for everyone.oh 3 we spend way too much time sayin my bike is better than yours.who cares just ride :)

Top Bottom