kayaba repair

chillrich

Sep 15, 2003
98 YZ250 with Kayaba forks. Can't get the base valve assembly to break loose. Have tried with an impact and the assembly does not move at all. This is the first time I have torn these forks down, should the entire mechanism spin? Is downward pressure on the fork rod really crucial? Its not left hand thread is it? I do not have the speacial tool but was told by the dealer that the impact would do the job.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You need downwards pressure, its not left hand thread.A impact will work but dont let it spin the cartridge as you can damage stuff when it all spins at high rpm.Put a good amount of pressure on the fork and short bursts with the impact.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
you can do it with the impact, i do all the time- they always come loose real quick. but in this case i would consider getting the cartridge holder and do the job properly if its really stuck- the holder is around $60-70, much less than the price of a new cartridge ($300+)

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Chillrich if you cant get it to turn at all youll want to put the axle clamp in a vise upside down and take a 1/2x 24mm or so size socket with the hex side facing you then take a old Short 1/2 drive short extension and insert it through the hex side so the flat side hits the base valve. Give it a few smart whacks with a hammer and it may break the threads loose but dont hit it so hard that you bugger up the base valve. You could also use a old crankpin from an old 250 or 500 crank . Heat might also help on the axle clamp sometimes they get corroded and stick.Good Luck.

chillrich

Sep 15, 2003
First off I'd like to thank you guys for the quick responses and tips. I tried the suggestions but because I was a lil hesitant to screw the forks up I ended up taking it to the local shop. For $15 he popped the caps off, he said he had no huge problem(this may indicate that my air impact isn't quite up to the task). The machanic said he leaves the springs and caps in place at the top end and holds the fork on a table with one hand and gives short bursts with the impact. This was successful although the caps seemed tighter than normal.

Thanks again for the help.
Craig

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…