Kirby N.

Apr 5, 2007
So I bought two KX 100s. A 98 and a 2000. I am going to ride one a little and get rid of it, but the one we keep is going to be made into a trail machine for the wife. Here is what the list will include

Lighting Stator (already Got it)
KDX 200 Head Light
Tail Light
Liscence plate
Flywheel weight
Spark Arrestor
IMS 2.6 Gallon Tank
Skid Plate
Kick Stand- I will fab up one
Brush Guards
Radiator Guards
Regear- Rear sprocket to a 51 instead of a 45.

She has been ridding it a little lately. She can start it fine and it seems to be a much better size for her.

Should be a pretty trail worthy bike when I finish it. She is comming off a TTR 225 Electric Start. It was a little heavy for her. I think the KX is like 140 lbs lighter!

Suggestions?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I would say kudos to you for thinking about your wife's comfort and fun on the trail! heck yeah its gonna be a much lighter ride for her than the TTR225 (of which I always refer to as a pig of a bike). You did not say how tall your wife was, the 100 may be a tad small, but probably loads more fun than the blue bike.

Kirby N.

Apr 5, 2007
She is 5'4" and 110lbs. She has been ridding it lately and just getting the right size bike for her has improved her riding skill huge! Can't wait to get started on the mods. Have to sell the other bike first though.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
My wife rides an '02 with all the mods you listed except for the lights, we went heavy on the fly wheel weight. We also have a scotts steering dampner and some low tension torque reeds. It's a great bike!

Kirby N.

Apr 5, 2007
I rode one with a 12oz flywheel weight and it was kinda sluggish. I also rode one with a 10 oz. I really liked it much better, but I am still thinking of putting a 8 oz on there. What do you have? What brand are the reeds?

Do you have any pictures of yours? I want to show my wife what the end product will look like.

Thanks for the replys!

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
Carbon tech reeds and Steahly 10oz weight. Oh, I forgot - gold wheels too.

PM me with your e-mail and I'll try to find a photo to send.

Kirby N.

Apr 5, 2007
Spent some cash today! Made a Big order

Ordered:

2.4 Gal IMS Tank in black
Moose Skid Plate
Works Connection Radiator Guards
Acerbis Minicross Rally Guards in Black
Renthal Mini High Bend Bars
Steahly Offroad 10 oz Flywheel Weight
FMF Q Turbine Core 2 Silencer
One Industries Alpha Graphics and Seat Cover

Hope it is in in a week or two I am getting excited. I am going to Fab the Kickstand myself and I would like to find a used headlight.

Oh, the wife also got a Fox girls chest protector and a tracker pro helmet. She is happy...

Kirby N.

Apr 5, 2007
Got a KLX400 headlight in the mail this week and got it on the KX100. It looks rad. A little disproportionate, but not bad.

Also, got a new kick stand and spring from a 1997 KX100. I am going to have to fab the rest, but just having the actual stand will make it alot easier.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
Kirby N. said:
Oh, the wife also got a Fox girls chest protector and a tracker pro helmet. She is happy...

Funny you say that. I get all excited about all the parts I'm buying for her bike. She could care less, she get excited about all the gear she gets to buy. :laugh:

At least your having fun together.

Kirby N.

Apr 5, 2007
I got some parts in today. Got the skid plate on, Radiator guards on and a new clutch lever.

I will get pics after I make some more progress. Also ordered the mount for the kick stand. I will decide whether to weld that on or make some tabs to weld on the frame, then bolt it on.

Kirby N.

Apr 5, 2007
Got the tank, flywheel weight and the lighting coil on today. Got the headlight wired too. I need to get a 12v voltage regulator and a tail light. I like the Steahly LED tail light/ liscence plate. I think I will go with that. I also want to get a switch so she can turn off the lights and make the bulkbs last longer. My wr250 didn't have a switch and it was annoying.

Anyone have pic hosting capabilities, so I can email you pics?

Kirby N.

Apr 5, 2007
Made some progress on the wifes.

Got the Graphics/ seat cover on. Ordered Steahly's "standard size" LED tail light and liscense plate holder along with a 12v regulator. Also bought a WR450 headlight switch off of ****.

Got the kickstand tab fabbed and welded on. I am still waiting on the kick stand bolt to come in. The bolt that connects the stand to the mouting bracket has a shoulder on it so I decided to order it.

Also, painted the frame where the welds heated it up and also the new tab I added. Anybody know where to get some kawasaki matching paint? Closest I could find anywhere (including the craft/ hobby stores) is painfully obviously not the right color. Sticks out like a sore thumb!

I will take some pics when I get the rest on it. I keep thinking of taking pics, but it needs the tail light, handlebars, handguards and the kickstand still, so I think I'll wait.

HeidiB

Mar 7, 2006
Wow. I bet it's going to look great. Can't wait for the pics.

Is it difficult wiring a headlight/taillight? I would like to do that to my sons RM 85. What do I all need? Where did you get the parts for your wifes?

Kirby N.

Apr 5, 2007
I got the parts from Dennis Kirk and Steahly offroad. It wasn't a big deal. The wiring was pretty straight forward. But to have enough power to push it you have to install a lighting stator. The biggest job was the lighting stator. I purchased that from Moose offroad through dennis kirk. . The flywheel had to be removed and that required a special tool called a flywheel puller. If I had it to do over again I would buy it all through steahly offroad.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
It's done and it's Pretty, Kirby's wife's bike.

Caught these while out on a stroll. Such a small world. :laugh:

Attachments

• Greydi_s35d.jpg
    Greydi_s35d.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 917

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Looks great. My 14 year old daughter is about the same height and loves her KX100. She learned on an XR100 so really appreciates the good suspension and light weight. I suspect you found the same thing we did, that the 10oz flywheel weight makes a huge improvement in the trailworthiness of the bike. (She also loves her Fox Girls CP).

That KLX headlight looks surprisingly at home. I'll keep that in mind if we ever decide to add lights to ours.

Kirby N.

Apr 5, 2007
DougRoost said:
Looks great. My 14 year old daughter is about the same height and loves her KX100. She learned on an XR100 so really appreciates the good suspension and light weight. I suspect you found the same thing we did, that the 10oz flywheel weight makes a huge improvement in the trailworthiness of the bike. (She also loves her Fox Girls CP).

That KLX headlight looks surprisingly at home. I'll keep that in mind if we ever decide to add lights to ours.

Thanks Dee Dee for posting pics

The KLX headlight looked way too big until we added the IMS tank, then the proportions evened out. Since the last update I have added an Acerbis LED taillight/ brake light, a K&S brakelight switch, Grips, Acerbis Minicross Rally Handguards and Renthal Bars. I wanted to do a KLX400 LED tailight, but they were too big and expensive. The acerbis one is very sweet, priced right and fits awesome. Those mods are all pictured. I have 2 things left to do on this project:

1- buy a light switch and wire it. Probably a KLX switch.

2- Get a longer front brake cable. With the tall bend bars and needing to be routed outside the upper rubber headlight mount I will need to get about 6-8 inch longer line. Anybody heard of a company who does that? I think there is a bearing shop in town who makes custom lines. I will check with them.

Top Bottom