KDX 125 front sprocket change

jdckoi

Aug 15, 2005
Hey everyone i'm new to off roading just got my kdx 125 2 months ago a freind of mine suggested i change the front sprocket to a more off road gearing is this the thing to do or should i leave well alone. What would this do as well??? :ride:

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
It depends on what type of riding you do. Here in West Virginia, I ride mostly tight single track trails. These are old logging roads that have lots of turns and can be hilly at times. I run a 13 tooth front and a 48 tooth rear sprocket. This combo gives me lots of power right off the start. What is your currnet set up as far as sprockets?

jdckoi

Aug 15, 2005
sprocket change

Hey there
The trails i ride are much the same lots of roots going up hill tight with ruts and bogs some gravel straits and road sections the chalk hils are a nightmare in the wet !!! Great fun !!! but i find i am constantly having to change gear at the wrong moment i think i need more touqe my currentset up is as standerd i have 15 teeth front 52 rear the bike is a jap import so is not restricted any idears????

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You could switch to a 14t front sprocket and have a similar ratio to what KDX1 has now.

You are geared too high, IMO, for trails riding.

jdckoi

Aug 15, 2005
Well that seems to the way to go I'm replacing the chain and the back sprocket as well .I have looked at Ironman sprockets site they had a gear ratio table which was very helpfull,i will be going for 13 48 the same as KDX1 as you pointed out it gives the same ratio as if i went to 14 on the front.
thanks for your help guys

jdckoi
Dirt novice
:cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You will be fine doing that, but be advised tha the bigger you can get by on the front sprocket, the longer the chain will last.

All things being equal, the 14/52 set-up will last longer than the 13/48, even though they have nearly the same ratio.

jdckoi

Aug 15, 2005
Nice tip dude the chain is £60 not something you want to get to often !!!!! 14 52 it is then. :cool:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…