dougle09

Mar 31, 2013
hi im alan i have a kdx 125 ive just had a full engine rebuild had all the carb cleaned out and also put a new plug and fluids in im running my bike just of the stator cdi and coil and theres no wires to ground to the frame or anything im only getting a weak spark every few kicks and it wont start i have 2 cdi units and tried both of them and its just the same could anyone help or give me some advice please

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
I know this thread is 6 months old but I want to reply anyway in case anyone else has the same problem.
I once had an '89 Honda CR250 that was hard to start and had inconsistent spark at low rpm. After a lot of research I found out this is common with this model. Maybe the design was marginal to begin with. But it turns out that heat and age adds up to reducing the magnetic strength from the magneto. Cost of new one with stator coil was around $400 so I just cheated and made my own solution of charging the internal CDI capacitor in place of inconsistent charge from the stator coil at low rpm. It required about nine 9volt batteries and worked like a charm as long as the batteries had a charge.
Any way, a weak spark can be any of the electrical components, beginning with the magneto. After that is the stator coil (which can be rewound with a smaller thickness wire for more turns and thus more voltage to compensate for a weak magneto. Then CDI, high voltage coil (almost never. this is usually good or totally bad), plug cap, spark plug. Also a bad electrical connection can be a cause, especially of a wire going to chassis ground.

Top Bottom