KDX 125 SR (1992) Clutch problem?

Darryl_KDX125

Jan 5, 2006
Hi All,

I would really appreciate some help with a problem I have with my KDX 125 SR born in 1992. I use it to commute to work so really need it back up and running asap. I will try and give as much helpful info as I can.

With the engine running and the clutch level pulled in, if I select 1st or 2nd gear the engine dies. If I give it a lot of revs and stick it in 1st it begins to die but if i manage to shift back into neutral the engine starts firing again.

The clutch cable is operating fine. Athough I cannot push the bike with the engine off and the clutch lever pulled in.

I noticed that my transmission oil must have been slowly leaking from the system over time to the point that I saw no transmission oil in the window so I topped it up but the problem still exists. I have a nasty feeling that lack of oil has damaged 'something'. I don't know what is likely to have 'broken' due to the lack of oil?

A second theory I have is that the sidestand switch to detect the gears engaging (to prevent you pulling away with the sidestand down) is faulty and thinks it is doing me a favour by killing the engine.

There is a clutch switch next to the clutch lever although I don't know what this does. Maybe this is the cause?

If anyone could shed any light on the above I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks for any help.

Darryl

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
The clutch is dragging. So presumably you have adjusted it for minimal freeplay. Chances are the steel plates are warped or the cable is sticking or the clutch basket is grooved. Minor grooves can be filed. Check that cable fully. Possibly a fibre plate is broken. Take them out & check steels are flat etc.

The oil is going somewhere (I would suspect your RHS crank seal is leaking) & lack of oil may aid burning the clutch.

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Have you managed to run start the bike ? and does it go ?
If you can get the bike to run start and everything seems to work while moving , then I would think its a kill switch on the side stand that is the problem .

Darryl_KDX125

Jan 5, 2006
Thanks for your feedback guys. I have now checked the cable and it seems fine. I haven't adjusted the cable since I bought the bike (I've only owned it three months). Although I owned an 1990 KDX 125 about 12 years ago (in my teenage years :o)). I have taken off the RHS cover and now trying to undo the big 22mm nut whilst trying not to let the flywheel turn as well!! tried putting in in gear but back wheel turns. I'm having fun here I can tell you. :o)

Darryl_KDX125

Jan 5, 2006
Just to feedback that I have completed the job just in case anyone has the same problem in the future. A sticky sidestand switch was the problem. Took it off greased it up and voila! Have replaced clutch cover gasket and transmission oil and it seems to be staying in the bike!
Back on the road now!! Woohoo!

Thanks for the help guys and I must say that this is a brilliant site and I will continue to browse the site on a regular basis for more excellent info .. (and maybe provide some myself one day ???) :o)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom