kdx 200 04 rear break overheating

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
Ever since I replaced my rear break rotor with a Moose aftermarket rotor,my rear breaks overheat and dont work if Im really using them hard,wich I do alot. This never happend before I made the change. I have lowered the break peddle as much as I dare and this has not helped. The rotor is not solid,just like the factory one. Also, Im still using the same break pads as Ive always used. Anyone got a clue what might be goin on? Thanks

ascracer

Oct 21, 2006
There are a few things that could be causing the overheating problem

1. How worn are the brake pads? If they are worn past half then more heat will be transferred to the caliper and then to the brake fluid.

2. Since the bike is an 04 it may be time to change the brake fluid over time the fluid will lose some of it ablility to sustain heat because of moisture and water lowers the boiling temp of the fluid.

3. The pads may be sticking on the brake pins that hold them into the caliper. After every couple of rides I take out the brake pins and pads and clean any rust or dirt that have collected on and in them, after they are clean I apply a thin coat of grease to the pins and reinstall them. This also improves brake pad life.

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
Also, the caliper pistons may be sticking, or the caliper may be stuck on the caliper slide pins.

Put the old rotor back on and see if it still has issues.

Rotor

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I'll give another vote to the brake fluid. Replace your fluid with a good quality fluid like Motul 600 and I'll bet the problem goes away. It's boiling point is much higher than contaminated, old, low quality fluid.

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
Thanks

Ok,Ill start with the fluid. That really makes sense. Its the origanal factory fluid. IVE done so much maintnance to this bike from front to back,top to bottom,but never thought to do something so basic :bang: Thanks and I will post The results after tuesdays ride.

tom87b

Jun 8, 2007
Oh yeah,the oil was BAD. Looked like choclate milk. Big differance now. Purged the system several times,untill the oil ran clear. Thanks again,this forum is the best. Even had to extract one of those master cylinder screws that stripped out. I replaced them all w/stainless hex screws,per this forum. Thanks again!

Top Bottom