stoopstn

Feb 8, 2005
I am looking to buy a new bike and can't quite decide which one. I am a beginner rider and am 6'1" 190lbs. I will mostly be doing trail riding in the woods and on logging roads. I am leaning more towards the XR 250 however I keep hearing that KDX's are good bikes. What are the main differences in performance between the two and which one would you guys recommend for the type of riding I will be doing. Thanks.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Either would be a good for what you describe. Stone reliable and lots of parts to improve both if you want. That is why legions of riders love them. Best bet is to try to borrow/test ride one of each and decide for yourself.

stoopstn

Feb 8, 2005
Good point, I plan on driving both before making a decision, however, will the kdx be able to handle hills and say crossing through water as well as the xr?

yater

Nov 7, 2003
The kdx will blow the xr250 away in every way. No comparison. Either bike will do water up to the airbox..no difference there. The kdx doesn't lug QUITE as low as the xr but it does just fine down low. (I'm talking about the 200...the 220 is a different story and has more bottom end)

duke

Oct 9, 1999
Having ridden a late model XR250 and currently owning a 99 KDX 200, I offer the following. Both are reliable and the after market up grade possibilities are endless. However, the KDX is lighter and more powerful to begin with, thus requiring fewer, less costly modifications to acheive a higher state of performance. The engine is forgiving, and with a few simple, low cost mods, can offer the rider more then enough power for any situation, be it desert or single track. The XR can achieve similar performance levels, but the cost is greater because the modifications required are more involved: big bore kits, after market carbs, etc..In order to go fast, both must be wrung out, but they can take it. Also, starting the KDX, be it hot or cold, isn't as frustrating. All that said, either one is a great bike, representative of an era when the manufacturers realized what most people want and need from a trail bike. The late model XR's are pure trail bike, that offer good performance for that application. The KDX reaches a more middle ground approach in that they too are friendly trail bikes that can be raced competively in the lower skill classes with but a few modifications.

stoopstn

Feb 8, 2005
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am going to go with the kdx. I am leaning more towards a 220 because i heard they had more bottom end. How does the 200 compare with the 220? Also, I looked at a 2000 kdx220 which was stock in good condition for around 3500CAN. Is this a good deal or a little steep?

Mike R.

May 1, 2004
For your info

The XR is far more reliable then a KDX this is almost un-debatable.
Some just want to say otherwise because that is what they own.
I have owned 2 new KDX's and yes they are great bikes BUT, they have a few downsides.
Topends must be done just like any other 2 stroke, you have to mix Pre-mix, You have radiators that if your a east coast woods rider will and can be bent if you fall in tight stuff, the hop up potential is good with both bikes but I do think as far as afternarket support the XR has got the edge.
Take a look for example the KLX line its has zip for support.
The kdx will blow the xr250 away in every way. No comparison
When I wanna blow away my own XR or any KDX alive I will get out my CR250 :laugh:
As far as which is faster blah blah whocares.
Also I would not go as far as say theres no comparrison.
Just remeber the XR's best attribute is Torque not HP.
Granted the KDX might put out around 26-7hp but a stock XR is only behind a tad at say 20. Slap in a 280 Piston kit and your now within 5hp. With (cant find Dyno) comparable Torque.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
The 220 has more grunt, while the 200 has more top end. These differences are not so pronounced that for trail rding you will notice that much difference. However, from what I read, the 220's have somewhat of a piston problem. I am not clear as to what it is, since I ride a 200 and I not real cognizant on the specifics. Do a search on this sight for more details

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
IMHO the 200 is a better bike. It has loads of bottom end and moderate top end, I just cant see why one would want to increase the bottom at the expense of top which is already a little lackluster...but I did grow up racin 80 and 125cc MX bikes before getting the KDX so maby I have a warped perspective. Additionally, should you want more power than either the 220 or 200 makes stock, the 200 is easier and less expensive to modify (the 220 has a smaller carb and smaller ports). Both are significantly ahead of the XR in terms of cost, ease of maintance, ease of starting and performance.

my 2 cents:)

Top Bottom