Kdx 200 89-91 Probelms Help!

DJB2

Nov 21, 2003
I have recently fitted a new piston / rings / inlet manifold on my KDX.
I have been told by the Kawasaki dealer the model is an import to the UK and no manual is available in english as the model is possibly 'G' (as it has an oil pump)
The problem is electrics ? where do I start!
The bike has started and run for 50 miles low rev's to bed in the rings however the bike has now stopped dead and will not start?
I have check Carb and fuel, both OK
Help!!!!!!!!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Are you using the oil pump or have you bypassed it, running premix in the tank? I also assume that the bike has full street legal equipment.

Anyway, have you checked the sparkplug for spark? How was the bike running before it died?

DJB2

Nov 21, 2003
YES I AM RUNNING THE OIL PUMP, SLIGHT PROBLEM AFTER 10K AS PUMP CABLE JAMED OVER DOSING OIL AT LOW REV'S.
AFTER THAT BIKE WAS RUNNING VERY WELL?
WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO BIG RIDE ON SUNDAY

TO CHECK SPARK REMOVE PLUG AND TOUCH ENGINE AND KICKING IT OVER?

harry monza

Sep 28, 2002
Hi DJB2
While I can't help with your problem I can tell that you can get a manual through Kawasaki back order to japan.
Took about 4 weeks to get it to Australia.
Part No 99924-1114-02.
It covers models 1989-1994 without the oil pump which isn't a problem as it just bolts on, not much involved.
Hope this helps.

Harry 90 kdx

Fibb

Oct 30, 2003
Hey Harry,

You got an 'F' or 'E' model.

Tinkered with jetting?

I have a copy of a supplement to the manual from a dealer for the road legal version. It has info on electrics and stuff as well as the oil pump.

DJB2

Nov 21, 2003
Fibb

Does the supplement have a part number or description as I would love to get hold of a copy?
Do you know how to reduce the oil / fuel ratio
I have tried backing the oil pump cable off is thier an other way?

harry monza

Sep 28, 2002
Hey Fibb
I think it's a F model made 6/90, I have heard then called KDX 200SR.
Have not done much to it at all.
Would like to do air box they say you can get a bit more power doing that.
The manual I have has the electrics but it's only for the off road model,has headlight -tail and thats about all
I like the oil pump as I ride with all four stroke riders and it make it easy when filling up.

Harry 90 KDX

Fibb

Oct 30, 2003
DJB - there is no part number, it just says Motorcycle Service Manual Supplement at the bottom and has a picture of the 1989 KDX200 (Road Legal) on the front. Unfortunately, I didn't buy it - was just given a free copy.

As for oil/fuel ratio, the oil cable needs to be adjusted so that at throttle stop (idle), oil pump lines up with one mark and full throttle lines up with the other.
This is pretty obvious when you take the cover off the oil pump.
The oil pump alos has a check valve which needs to be operational.

Oil Pump performance test is conducted as follows.
Fill the tank with premix.
Pull out the oil feed pipe from the carb manifold and plug hole with a bolt.
Start bike and keep it at 2000rpm.
With oil pump cover off, open oil pump lever fully.
Allow oil to pump into measuring container for 3 mins at 2000rpm.
Output should be between 3.6 and 4.2mL (sorry don't know the conversion by memory).

Fibb

Oct 30, 2003
Harry,

I have the airbox lid off, Pro Circuit pipe, Boyesen Reeds and slightly heavier fork springs. I have also just rebuilt it using a Wiseco piston/sleeve kit. I am just trying to figure out the jetting now.

It's a fantastic little bike and one that I will probably always keep - it is currenlty on semi-permanent loan to a friend and it has been a great learning bike for him. I swapped bikes with him at the motocross track the other day and it was an absolute hoot! You could ride it flat out pretty much all the way around the track and it feels so much lighter than my main bike its almost funny (like a push bike).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom