bwallacefan03

Jan 28, 2009
My 92 kdx200 was leaking gas through the overflow, guy at the dealer said it was the float valve. Paid 30 bucks for a new one installed it, put it on my bike and the bike ran but still leaked through the overflow. took it back apart and had a friend look at it, he said there was some gun in there and he cleaned it. put the carb back in. Bike wont start!

Any ideas?

fusion

Jan 25, 2009
your float could be adjusted wrong might be the reason why it was over flowing. Try some starting fluid some times after i rebuild a carb. it doesn't like to start the first time.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
did you hook up the fuel line and turn the tank on?

really all you have to do is take it apart YOURSELF and clean everything up and set the float level. if you don't have a Factory Manual then you should get one.
I have never put a carb back on that did not start up right away

read the thread by jullien_d I have refreshed it so it should be close

Last edited:

bwallacefan03

Jan 28, 2009
I'm thinking he messed up the float level when he adjusted it, because I used starting fluid and it fired up but shortly died, I think it wasnt getting any gas from the carb. I'm going to adjust the float level when I get off work and see if that cures it.

f4stunter

Dec 18, 2008
isnt starting fluid a no-no on 2 strokes? definately sounds like misadjusted float. before it wasnt closing the valve off all the way and now it closes to soon.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
yes, starting fluid is a bad idea for 2 strokes. I 3rd the float adjustment theory. That seems to be the most plausible cause.

J.

fusion

Jan 25, 2009
(Not trying to start a fight) Starting fluid does not hurt if you just use a little bit shouldn't take much at all, there still will be enough oil left in the crank case from the last run to keep everything lubed for the who 2 seconds till the carburetor catches back up.

This might help
kdx200pdf-AdobeReader.jpg

fusion

Jan 25, 2009
well the book i copied it from says copyright 1991 so that means the copyright law isn't in effect anymore right?

jth

May 21, 2006
Quick check for gas getting into carb.
Remove the main jet plug from the bottom of the carb.
Turn on the gas. Fuel should dribble out and stop when you turn the gas off.
This also works good if you dump it in a big mud hole and it won’t start back up. Let the gas run a bit and kleen the carb out.
Please, no smoking.

Top Bottom