CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Just purchased stiffer springs for my 2002 KDX 200, (I am 185 lbs.)
When I asked about the PVC spacer supplied with the springs, I was told "Just Use the old steel spacer" I replaced the springs and used 7 wt fork oil. Now after a bit more research I understand the PVC spacer is used since the new springs may not be the same length as the stock ones and also to be used to dial in the forks to perfection. Should I pull the forks apart again to see if the springs are the same length or should the springs be somewhat close? Help!

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by shockdoc
Yes, you want to make sure you have at least the same length as stock.

doc
Thanks!
I finally got around to it and disassembled the forks again. The new springs are 1/2 in. longer! I could understand if the old springs had some time on them but the bike is brand spankin new. I cut the pvc spacer so the old and new springs with the spacers are the same length. The "Just KDX" site spelled all this out pretty good but I got lost with the 539 mm length. This measurement is taken from what two points? Does anyone know?
Thanks for the help!!

maco

Apr 16, 2003
I'm jumping in and I don't know for sure but Iwould best guess that would be yoursprings total length.I know progressive sends a piece of PVC with ther springs to use as a spacer.I don't like the metal spacers cause they seem to dirty up the fork oil.You might try and talk to the aftermarket spring manufacturer ablout the limits for your spacer.Or experiment with different sizes and see what you like.

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
This is for anyone who might find this in searching through old threads.

The stock spacer on 1995 and newer KDX's puts about 30+mm of preload on the stock, too soft for almost every rider, fork springs. When switching to stiffer springs, one might benefit from starting with 10mm of preload and adjusting to preference from there.

Top Bottom