Alan Adcox

Jul 13, 2001
Just bought a 96 KDX200 from the second owner who had it for 5 years. At idle and up to about 3000 RPM it has a noticable mild knock/rattle. He blamed it on the KIPS system. I pulled the head and cylinder, measured the rod radial play (up and down) with a dial instrument. Measured about .001. Seemed ok. The piston had about .0035 clearance at the bottom of the skirt but about .020 at the top. Replace the piston, wrist pin, bearing with a Wiseco which had about .014 at the top and .003 at the bottom. The mild knock is stil there. When I pull in the clutch lever the "tone" of the knock sounds a little different. Changed the gear case fluid, no help. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alan

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Have you gotten a chance to listen to another KDX? Every one I have heard knocks and rattles. It's just the clutch, nothing abnormal for a kdx. That is why some people run extra oil to try and quiet them down. Mine has been making those noises since the day it rolled off the showroom floor.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
Yes, They all rattle, even my buds new 01-220.

But it just doesn't seem right. CDave says it's clutch rattle. There has to be a fix somewhere :)

Alan Adcox

Jul 13, 2001
knock/rattle

Thanks for the input guys. It makes me feel a whole lot better knowing what I hear is probably a normal sound for a KDX. Went riding today,man that KDX pulls strong!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom