canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The best way to 'lower' it is to get used to riding it where it is now! ;)

If that doesn't work, you can lower it some by using a different length set of pull rods (dog bones). My '00 dropped about 1/2" going from the stock 112.5mm to 114mm.

Suspension tuners have told me that the ONLY 'correct' way to lower the bike is thru reworking the shock. That's spendy. With the pull rod idea, the geometry of the suspension changes.

You can lower the front by raising the fork tubes in the clamps. The higher they are set, the 'quicker' and less stable at high speeds your front end will be (less trail º).

Search for posts on this forum by 'michelle'. She rides a 200 down under..has a set of 115mm pull rods on now, I think.

Of course, I'm assuming there is a fair similarity between a '92 and a later model KDX. Honestly, the only thing I KNOW about a '92 KDX is that it's older'n mine!

Big help, huh?

uh............It is green....right??

------------------
  • OLD member
    'oh-oh' KDX 200
    '86 Nighthawk 700 SC
    (a motorcyle even if it doesn't have a chain!)

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
Do you have too much suspension? Or is the bike too tall? I can't imagine a 92 being too tall. I ride a 92 and an 89 and I am only 5'3". The 92 has stock seat foam with mushes down when you sit on it. The 89 has a stiffer foam that doesn't mush down and therefore feels taller. Check to see if you have the mushy foam. If not you can order some.

Don't mess with "lowering" the bike if you can help it. It will decrease your suspension travel not to mention lower the resale value. Have you set the preload and sag and forks for your height, weight, and riding style? You can't just buy a bike especially a used one, and expect the settings to fit you.

How tall is the person riding the bike? How heavy are they with full gear?

Brenda

------------------
89, 92 KDX 200, 240
98 Montesa
94 ATK 250, 406

H Raidel

Sep 4, 2000
We were faced with either lowering a KDX or waiting until our 13 year old (5-0) would grow into it, so we did what we had to:

First you can experiment with PVC spacers inside the shock, a 1/4" spacer on the shaft will get you about an inch at the rear wheel.

Or... you can just lower the sag, which won't work for isde types (or wannabees) but will allow a shorter rider to enjoy the bike.

I also pulled the fork legs up a litle over an inch in the triple trees which effectively lowered the front end also.

As I said these won't work for pros ( or wannabes) but will allow a younger shorter individual to get used to the bike.

Hope your KDXs bring you as much fun as my son's has.

-HR

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
The dogbones I got work on all bikes from 89 on, so guess Kwakka didn't change that part of the bike at all.

If you do a search in here, you'll find a few links for a set, from memory they're about $60. I know I almost burst into tears when I realised how little it changed the height of the bike (I'm 5'3'), but what a difference it has made when riding. The other thing is if the person grows, or doesn't like it, you can always put the stock ones back in (about a 5 minute job).

I still have to watch where I'm going to hop on the bike, but it's not really an issue, usually a foot or so away is an ideal position. (I've kept the kickstand on to help)

The other thing you could do is chop down the seat. (which is irreversible unless you buy another seat foam).

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Cheap bastard here.

Well I advocate the cheapest means is cutting the seat foam down. Works just fine but riding the bike I wonder if I went a little far, maybe I’m not as short as I thought I was.

You could always try getting taller. Smart bastd huh? No really, you’ve seen those silly adds in comic books. But try this. Take your boots to a GOOD Shoesmith/Cobbler person & get them to add another sole. There’s half an inch straight off. Could be more fashionable these days?

------------------

feiloong71

Oct 11, 2001
I need to raise my bike :think

I'm riding a KDX if that helps. Thinking of finding a shorter one than my current stock rods to raise the bike to a more comfortable level. Its too low for me. :ugg:

Also heard that the aftermarket ones may be dangerously weaker than the stock ones, and may break whilst wacking the bike. Any reccomendations to solid-SOLID rods?

I have access to a CNC machine. Would titanium or steel make a good choice of material for the rods if I wanna DIY it myself?

Thanks for any suggestions =)

feiloong71

Oct 11, 2001
kdx pages only suggest using seat foam, and raising the front handlebars, nothing on actually suspension mod, though its in the suspension column =)

Steel, hmm ... thanks for the info =)

btw "whacking" the bike is a term we use here in Singapore, somewhat like "trashing" the bike, as opposed to riding it normally as what we do here on the roads.

So has the suspension rods taken your rides and jumps well? We have had some incidents, the last one involving an XR200, here in Singapore whereby the bike's rods broke in the middle of the trail and the rear fender ended up resting on the rear wheel =) Imagine the trouble getting the bike and the rider out of the trails =) Thats what i'm trying to avoid.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
I try to keep both wheels on the ground ;)

I've known other people a lot faster than me (that ain't hard) who have had the longer pullrods & had no problems (due to talking to some of them, I went for the KDX). When my husband rides my bike, he generally puts the stock pullrods back in (if he's going to be using it for a full day, if it's just a test to see how the bike is after some mod, then it'll be set up for me).

I haven't heard of anyone breaking the pullrods, but that's not to say no one has. I've had my bike about 1-1/2 years, so probably about 15 months with the longer dogbones in it. Stock is 112.5mm
Definitely don't go any thinner than the stock though, and don't use sheet metal.

To me whacking means hitting, so I was trying to envision as to how they would hit the bike. ;) Ah, the English language, so easy to misunderstand lol
Michelle

feiloong71

Oct 11, 2001
>>> I try to keep both wheels on the ground
one word - WOW :)

>> Stock is 112.5mm
Thanks, this is really useful info. I'll go measure my rods later and see how it compares. Mine's a 91 kdx200 btw. Have you any idea wats the ratio like approximately, eg if i decrease the length of the rod by 10mm, what kind of increase in height can i expect, etc ...

>>> To me whacking means hitting, so I was trying to envision as to how they would hit the bike.
that would be CRIMINAL!! I'll WHACK the fella who WHACKS my bike like how you envision it :debil:

>>> Ah, the English language, so easy to misunderstand lol
interesting, I was just remarking the other day to my friend how under-developed the language is such that the same word can be used over a myriad of circumstances, which prob explains why the Bible SEEMS self-contardictory at times.

Sorry going off topic. heh:confused:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
The >94 bikes from my understanding are lower than the 95+. I don't know where the difference lies.
Me adding 5mm to the pullrods dropped the bike 20mm. Also with raising the bike, my husband thinks you'd need to get some caps made up to extend the forks & spacers to fit the springs.
I guess you couldn't find a thread on raising the bike? ;)

The reason I try to keep both wheels on the ground is I had a bike which was broken in the middle & I always complained going over whoops it felt unhinged & like it was about to break. I rode that bike for almost a year & got told by everyone I was dreaming & it was fine. I'm happier with the strength of the KDX frame, but still timid about getting air (no big jumps for this gal, but I know I don't manage both wheels on the ground all the time lol)
Michelle
btw mine's a 99 kdx200

feiloong71

Oct 11, 2001
gotta leave the house to meet my friends so i'll pop a short reply first. :D

he's right abt having to raise the front as well, but thats one thing i'm totally foreign to. Extending the forks? is that possible? I've stripped my forks to replace the oils and seals before, but at this moment havent thought through fully how the thing works, to know how to mod it to extend it.

Strangely I'm happy with the current performance of the forks being more of a trails rider than an MX guy. I'll see how the rear elevation affects me first before i consult you guys again on extending the forks. =)

ok gotta run, feel free to reply to me =)

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
What are you measuring? The total length of the pull rod is 152mm, outside edges of the two holes is 128mm, but centre of hole to centre of hole is 112.5mm (with 112.5mm stamped on side, Kwakka must measure centre to centre).
Make sure whoever you're dealing with is measuring same place as you, or you may end up with the same thing. Thickness is 5.5mm (no calipers, so ruler had to do).

feiloong71

Oct 11, 2001
I performed all measurements myself with measuring tape, having no access to proper tools and the dismantled rods.

All measurements mad from the centre of one bolt from one end of the rod to the centre of the other bolt at the other end of the same pullrod.

Prob a diff in different year production models?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Okay, we're talking same lengths here, that's good ;) Yes, it will be the difference between the models, unless yours are not stock. (is it an SR or normal off road model). It's no wonder you're complaining it's too low, with me at 5'3", 117.5 is good for me, I can't imagine 128.

Check out the buykawasaki.com website & see if you can make heads & tails of the differences for the forks - it may help.

feiloong71

Oct 11, 2001
>>> (is it an SR or normal off road model).

SR stands for street registerable issit? In that case, mine is the SR version.

>>> It's no wonder you're complaining it's too low, with me at 5'3", 117.5 is good for me, I can't imagine 128.

I'm 5'7" and can have both feet firmly planted on the ground without any gear on yet.

>>> Check out the buykawasaki.com website & see if you can make heads & tails of the differences for the forks - it may help.

U mean the suspension rods? Thats the part where it sucks, everything is put in the manuals, except for the measurements ie length breadth height.

How much you paid for the Kouba links btw?

NJ KDX RIDER

Dec 7, 2001
lowering

I used Kouba Links , they work just fine. They offer three different sizes according to how much you want to lower your bike.Norm Kouba was a tremendous help in selecting the right one for me.I believe the address is:www.koubalinks.com. Being a rider of short stature I would highly recomend them.btw I fall alot less since I installed the links . .....It's nice to actually be able to reach the ground.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom