KDX 200 or 220 questions and advice

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
I'm looking for some advice and opinions of the KDX 200 and 220. I ride an XR400. Great bike, but heavy as all hell so I've decided that I want to replace it with a lighter 2-stroke. Not interested in a 250 motorcross bike so I think the KDX is the way to go. I ride mostly tight and technical singletrack so I'd like a bike with lots of low end torque that I can ride similar to a 4 stroke. Therefore, what's the bike difference in the 200 vs the 220?

Thanks in advance

KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
Well I'm no expert on this subject as I too am just recently interested in buying a KDX as well. However from the research I've done I've found that either of these bikes would be what your after. Again however, the 220 is designed to provide more low end than the 200, but gives up a little top end for it. I personaly feel like the 220 has more potential as it can be modified to regain that topend and at the same get more lowend torque, than you would get out of the 200. I have only ridden the 220 and I can say for a 2stroke they are a complete shock, as they perform more like a 4stroke than a 2stroke yet put out the power of the 2stroke. I am really quite impressed with this bike and will be buying one before long!!!!!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
IMO - The 200 has more potential if you decide to go the way of the Eric Gorr 225 modification and porting you will have more low end than the 220 with all the top end rev of the 200.  Eric states that he preffers to go this way and that you will not get the top end out of the 220 due to its' porting.  Take it for what it's worth.  I am totally satisfied with my KDX225 which started out life as a 200.  :cool:

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'Eric states that he preffers to go this way and that you will not get the top end out of the 200 due to its' porting.

I believe the number is 220.

Yes. You'll have better luck making a 200 into a hard low-end pulling machine than making a 220 a top-end screamer. The cylinder between the two is considerably different, notwithstanding bore size. Meaning (if 'notwithstanding' isn't clear) there is more to cylinder differences than bore size.

KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
Well like I said, I really don't know. I really don't want to get into any kind of pissing match here, but I would be willing to bet that with the right mods, one would not be-able to tell much difference between the 2 bikes. I've played and seen many times the "this is better than that" game and when it comes down too it, it's really all preference and too each his own! Both are great bike from what I've read, I can't see going wrong with either one!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by canyncarvr
re: 'Eric states that he preffers to go this way and that you will not get the top end out of the 200 due to its' porting.

I believe the number is 220.

Yes. You'll have better luck making a 200 into a hard low-end pulling machine than making a 220 a top-end screamer. The cylinder between the two is considerably different, notwithstanding bore size. Meaning (if 'notwithstanding' isn't clear) there is more to cylinder differences than bore size.

Nope - the number is 200.  Give Eric a call and talk to him.  No pissing match here.  Just repeating what i've been told by Eric.  I do not believe that i am wrong - but if i am ... well it would not be the first time.  :laugh:

And you are correct CC - there is more to cylinder differences than bore size.  That's why i mentioned the porting difference in my previous post.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Nope, not a drop of pissment in the vicinity. Just trying to clear up stuff.

I don't understand.

re: '..if you decide to go the way of the Eric Gorr 225..'
That indicates the basic subject is a 200, cuz the overbored 220 is a 240.

re: 'you will have more low end than the 220 with all the top end rev of the 200. '
That indicates the basic subject is a 200.

re: 'Eric states that he preffers to go this way..'
....still talking about the 200.......right?

re: 'you will not get the top end out of the 200...'
If that was '220' it would make sense. You're saying you will not get the top end out of a 200 that you will out of a 220?

In which case, why the prior comments concerning the 200 being the 'way to go.'

I didn't talk to EG, but I read of a comment relayed by a reliable source that said EG preferred the 200 for successful portwork because the port angles of the 220 made it a less likely (without a whole lotta trouble) hop-up candidate.

I may well have misunderstood that, too.

OK...so I'm slow sometimes. I'd appreciate enlightenment, though.

Thanks.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by canyncarvr
...re:  'you will not get the top end out of the 200...'
If that was '220' it would make sense. You're saying you will not get the top end out of a 200 that you will out of a 220?

OK - typographical error on my part - corrected with my post edit.  :)  I meant to type 220 in the first place.  Thanks for catching that.  :thumb:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'd buy the green one!

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
Thanks fo the feedback so far. Let me clarify that I would most likely keep the motor stock. In that case it sounds like the 200 has more top end, while the 220 has more torque, right?

KdxChode

Jun 18, 2001
Yup, If ya want to keep it stock and like low end then the 220 is the way to go. If your into the mods then the 200 is probably a better choice. You just have to remember mods aren't for everyone. I've seen civics that are so modded that they can blow the doors off a vette, I'd rather have the stock vette though.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by tim_from_az
I'm looking for some advice and opinions of the KDX 200 and 220. I ride an XR400. Great bike I ride mostly tight and technical singletrack what's the bike difference in the 200 vs the 220?

Thanks in advance

XR400 - Great bike ????? [Great Big bike maybe]

If you ride tight singletrack the 220 is your choice. The 200 has a higher revving engine but not as much pull down low so you'll be slipping the clutch a lot. It has different porting & carb to smooth power delivery and deliver more torque at lower revs. Everyone is giving you advice as to which engine can be MODIFIED to produce the best racer -so why not just get a KX then? My 220 was far more user friendly in the really nasty stuff [tight singletrack]before I modified it with a larger carb & FMF pipe. Now, I'm going to have to add a flywheel weight to tame the [200 like] hit it's acquired. The 220 does have one very bad trait out here in the thin air of the west --it overheats & boils when ridden slowly. WWW.evanscooling.com has the cure

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sounds good.
**edit**
Above a direct response to 'tim-fm-az's differentiation between the 200/220. Not so clear with the other two posts inbetween.

Last edited:

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
I believe the concensus is that you need to "customize" either one to fit your riding style and conditions. Buy the model you are the most comfortable buying--whether it be price or vendor. By customize I do not necessarily mean spending a lot of money on the good motorcycle. You can adjust the suspension for no more than the cost of new fork springs($70 max)--you can adjust the jetting for almost free and you can adjust the gearing for the $12.00 or so for a front sproket. With these adjustments made a trail rider will have so much fun he will only want to go home for more fuel. Have fun.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Keep in mind, you can always buy the 220, enjoy the low end power, and then when it comse time for mods, you can buy a 200 cylinder... and sell your 220 cylinder on ebay..... I too bought a 220 over the 200.... but I'd probably do it again....

KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
Thanks fo the feedback so far. Let me clarify that I would most likely keep the motor stock. In that case it sounds like the 200 has more top end, while the 220 has more torque, right?
You are right on the money!!!

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
I don't think you would be dissapointed with either one. I've got a 200 and it is awesome. I rejetted and modified the airbox as per the JustKDX website advice (and after asking a lot of questions in this forum). Everything else is stock.

Plenty of grunt. I love my bike.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
so you guys are saying that someone looking for rev would be better off just getting a stock 200 instead of buying a 220 and adding a rev pipe and one extra tooth on front sproket?

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
I've got a buddy who's gonna loan me his 96 KDX 200 this weekend to ride. Are there any big differences between this model year and a new 03 or 04?

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
I had a 93 KDX 200. Only mod was airbox lid removed. I recently purchased an 03 KDX 220. As many have stated already, your style will dictate your choice. I love the 220 for all the torque I need on our trails out here in the Rockies. Sure I miss the rev of the 200 but the 220 is more practical for my tight lines.

Just my 2 Canadian cents. I guess in the U.S. that's worth even less!

RiVeRz

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I've got a buddy who's gonna loan me his 96 KDX 200 this weekend to ride. Are there any big differences between this model year and a new 03 or 04?

No big differences between the 96 and the 03.

Top Bottom