teton

Dec 13, 2000
I have found some real great info on the forks at this form and the justkdx site, I have a few "Q's" about the rear shock, at 175 lbs, what spring rate should I be looking at ?
Have any of you fiddlers with to much money to burn tried a different shock like a Works Perf. or Olhins ? Or perhaps having the shock body Hard Anodized and some sort of works kit installed ? ( if there is one )

Just wondering

Shawn1

Jul 4, 2001
The stock spring should be pretty close for your weight. I don't think replacing the shock would be worth the money. Just keep it in good shape, change the oil and recharge with nitrogen. If you want to improve your handling, you'd be better off changing the front springs to something a little stiffer. I never understood why they didn't balance the springs front and rear.

Shawn

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by teton
I have found some real great info on the forks at this form and the justkdx site, I have a few "Q's" about the rear shock, at 175 lbs, what spring rate should I be looking at ?
Have any of you fiddlers with to much money to burn tried a different shock like a Works Perf. or Olhins ? Or perhaps having the shock body Hard Anodized and some sort of works kit installed ? ( if there is one )

Just wondering

Look to your left and try MX Tech, they can do everthing you need.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
stock spring is 5.0kg/mm. I'm about 177#. My riding buddy is prolly close to 12-15lbs lighter than I am. The guy that tuned his suspension (richard wilson, house of horsepower) put in a 4.8 rear spring.

It's real real nice! I could see it being a bit weeny under severe circumstances, but for 95% of the riding we do, it's great! (keep in mind he's a bit lighter)

It's not an aftermarket spring..but something off a yahama of some make/model/year. That I don't recall WHICH makes that a useless bit of information.

Still, at 175#, you'd find a 4.8 to be a great plush ride.

Top Bottom