Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
hey kdx'ers i've been thinking about getting a 200 for trail riding in New Hampshire. that's tight and twisty stuff w/some power lines thrown in and screwing around in the occasional sandpit. i'm 39 and wiegh 200/210 all geared up. Looking to trail ride and play around no racing (i get to do that on the road course at loudon) i'd like something with Honda reliability ie ride it change oil and clean the air filter. bone stock bikes don't bug me i'm looking to ride not wrench. also i prefer my bikes on the stealth side. would a bone stock kdx fill the bill??

thanks!!!

someday

Jul 10, 2000
Our specs are the same (39-200/210). I went with a 220, son has a 200, both are really nice. Pretty much what you describe. You MUST do fork springs, though.

jo8243

Aug 11, 2001
I just got a kdx200 that i ride in tight woods in alabama. I am about 200 lbs geared up like you. The bike seems well suited to woods riding. The motor is very quiet, whch is nice. It has enough low end that you can bog it and it can still pull out of it. I think you'd be happy with the bike.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Skid,

The KDX will fit the bill just fine after some uncorking. www.dirtrider.net/justkdx will give you the poop on this. IMO is it not optional, rather manditory that you do as described relative to the pipe, airbox, and jetting. That is unless you like riding a bike with the equivilent performance of having a potato stuffed in the exhaust ;).

Same for the fork springs. Not only are they light for your weight, they cause on unbalance of the bike front-to-back. Without this change the bike won't handle right under your gerth.

The good news is after about $300 and a few evenings you'll have just what you are looking for. The KDX is not unique in this regard. All US market "trail bikes", XRs included, need some minor work to get them up to their stock potential state of tune. Just comes with the territory of sound and exhaust emission standards (however this does not explain the KDX's stock rich jetting). While you have the front end apart to do the springs this is a great time to replace the stock bars. Something like a set of Renthal CR Hi bends will make the bike much more comfortable to stand on and won't turn into a pretzel the first time you take a good digger like the stockers will.

Sometimes the virtues of a true trail bike are overlooked. Glad to see you are taking this approach to dirt riding. I just did an XR250 in the past month, and man am I happy with this machine. Had a '99 KDX BTW so know this bike as well. Both are pretty different from my KTM 300EXC, but just as good of bikes in their own ways.

kdx22097

May 16, 2001
Had a 220 for three and half years (sold). Purchased 01/ 200. The 220 was total stocker. The 200 I now have will also be kept stock. First impressions is that I like the 200 better. The engine is more flexible in the woods, second gear is great, you can rev the engine much higher in every gear. Having had both I would be a faster and better rider on the 200. Don't get me wrong I really liked my 220 too and it has more of a hit on the bottom part of power band, but I really don't miss it. The 220 for me just gave out to soon in the power. You can fix the faults with either bike from what I read but if your going stock my vote would be for the 200.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Thanks for the replies guys!! Unfortunately i'll never get to find out what a great bike the kdx is....I wandered into a zookie dealer and ended up walking out with an 01 drz400e!! But all is not lost i still have two kaws in the barn! a klr 650 for toolin' around new englands back roads and an ex 500 that i race up at loudon!!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Hey Skid, nice bike but apples and oranges compared with the KDX.

You must have a thing for toting around an extra 50 or so pounds of weight. Knowing that you have the KLR (me too) I'd have steered you hard away from the 'zook and towards a 'smoke.

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
Originally posted by TexKDX
Hey Skid, nice bike but apples and oranges compared with the KDX.

More like lemons and limes Don't you think!! I know thats bad but i couldn,t resist!!

Sorry to let you down on the thumper thing. I called on a couple of local kdx's but never heard back from them. And there was that drz just sittin there all set and ready to go..... I couldn't help myself, i feli under the spell of that damn button. I may ditch the klr and get something alittle more road like, but i'll probably be racing the ex for awhile yet!

Top Bottom