meistro60

Dec 8, 2003
Having just got my "00" KDX 200 a couple of weeks ago I have been only able to ride it twice due to inclement weather. But the first ride was a shakedown cruise and there were a few things that I have since replaced and fixed, and serviced. The nagging problem is the placement of the shift lever. I have it in the optimum position to be able to easily swing my boot over top for downshifts and to slide it underneath for up shifts. (obvious anal details)
Its the sliding my boot underneath the shift lever that is the problem, I cant really get a good bite on the tip of that lever. I can make it work but it just dosent feel quite right I was talking with my buddy who owns a DRZ 400 and he has the same problem, so I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem. Is there an aftermarket shift lever that is an inch longer on the tip? I have heard that the desert racers might use somthing like this for this same problem.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
If you have an off road cat from Dennis Kirk - they have quite a few aftermarket shifters. They all vary in length - so you may find what you are looking for. They are probably a bit more resilient to snapping as well.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Maybe a stupid question on my part, but your boots wouldn't happen to be new also? With no changes to the bike I noticed the same thing when breaking in boots. Just another thing to consider?

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I had the same problem . The shifter was perfect with work shoes. But when I bought a pair of riding boots I couldn't feel the shifter or get a good bite on it either. I moved it up one spline but then it was too high because one spline moves the end of the shifter 3/4". So I ended up bending the shifter 1/4" to get it in the right spot.

My wife's DRZ125 has a linkage with an infinite adjuster so you can easily put it in the perfect spot. Too bad KDX's don't have that!!! Oh well!!!

Tom L.

louis

Sep 2, 2002
With Tech8s I couldn't feel the pegs,brake, or shifter. After a few miles and a couple trees I changed back to the old Hi Points.

meistro60

Dec 8, 2003
Yeah..I thought of the new boot thickness, not broken in ect. Thats not the problem. My wifes TTR shift lever is very adjustable and I fixed the same problem she was having with an adjustment in lever height. Maybe I will just tweak that lever a bit or shop for a different one that fits better.
Thanks for all the info.

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
one thing I found out riding with size 13 tech 6 boots I am using the side of my foot to shift up gears and using the toe to downshift

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom