pete fry

Mar 9, 2004
Ive read the thread about the Kdx 250 usd forks and got me thinking about mine.how do you know which springs to put in for your weight(165lbs in kit)? Ok I dont want to revalve or swap out for Kx forks due to cost but I would modify the standard shim stack by removing a couple of compression shims and swap out the springs.Will Xr400 springs fit the 200usd forks? I know you have to undo the 14mmhex at the bottom of the forks,What else is involved ,I have taken the forks apart and put new seals in before so I know my way around the top end but need advice for the shim stack end.I would look in a manual if I nad one!!!

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
I am not familiar with the UK models. If a 1990 UK KDX200 came with USD forks, are they the same as the 1993 - 1994 USA KDX200 forks? If so, I doubt the XR400R springs would be narrow enough to fit, though I have not tried it. I have test fit stock 1995 and newer KDX springs as well as Eibach 996 series springs, and neither one will fit properly.

You may want to just buy some Race Tech brand springs or FRP Offroad springs, as either one fits properly in my experience of working on them.

I suggest that you try JUST the springs before doing any valving change. It might help you to know how much, if any, to modify the valving.

As far as rate of springs, look on the MX-Tech site (www.mx-tech.com) and just use a newer model. The weight of the bike is about the same, so the spring rate should be the same. The springs just mostly hold up the weight of the bike and rider.

Good luck with it.

Top Bottom