rice1825

Oct 1, 2002
I am considering buying a new KDX. Would people suggest the 200 or the 220? I am 6'2'' 210. I have a 96 KDX 200 and love the bike, but need alittle more power. Some people have told me the 200 is faster, and the 220 lacks mid range power. Others told me that the 220 midrange power problem can be fixed and go with that. Any suggestions, and what mods do people suggest to put on the new machines. Heavier suspension & new pipe are a must, but any other help would be appreciated.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
The 220 has a bit more low end power. If you install an after market pipe you will increase the overall power delivery. My son has the 200 and we have pretty much the same mods. The only real difference I notice between the 2 is the 220 has a little more on the bottom end. If even more power is what you need send FRP your cylinder and carb and let him work the 2 over. I understand it is amazing. Twist and hold on. I am going to do this mod when due for top end. Maybe someone who has these mods will chime in and elaborate.
Lew

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/200vs220.html

..for one thing.

The 200 has different port timing and a bigger carb. That corresponds to a more 'peaky' response (the former) on the 200, and a better top-end (the latter).

Putting a 36mm on a 220 will help......still it doesn't have the more aggressive port timing of the 200.

Check here:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

as far as the 'which mods' part.

While a kdx200 won't be outpowering a CRF450 anytime in this life, it can be made to run pretty darn good! An RB carb, DFII reed cage along with basic pipe adds will work wonders. I like a bit of retard (2º) in my 200.

You could always put your name on the waiting list for a CRF250!

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
Here's my 01, :thumb: 220,
FMF torque pipe,Pro Circuit sparkarrester,Boyesen rad valve,stock carb 45pilot,155 main,stock needle on second clip setting,Fredette cylinder porting and head mill,Race Tech .44 front springs and 10wt. Spectro oil,5.2 rear spring stock oil.Air screw 3/4 turn out airbox lid on snorkle out,stock gearing.

This setup gives me killer torque for slow technical hills and trails but also has outstanding top end compared to a stock 220.Anything I can do on my XR400 I can do on the 220.It's very fourstroke like.On the MX track it pulls great out of the corners but not to much wheelspin.Excellant steering and the suspension handles the jumps pretty good and it still feels plush on the small rough stuff.I use Belrey H1R premix @ 40 to 1 leaves almost no spooge.For ergos I spun the bar mounts around and installed Renthal Jimmy Button hi bars.Makes it easier to stand and ride and also gives me a little more arm room.I really love this bike.It's more fun to ride then the CR250 I had for a short time.I can take it to the desert,mountains, or track and have a good time. I'm 6' @ 214lbs. Most fun KDX I have owned my third. :thumb:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
An alternative to buying a 220 would be to put one of Eric Gorr's 225cc big bore kits into the '96. It will really wake that bike up.

Top Bottom