NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
can anyone here tell me how a KDX 200 differs in handling and basics from a KX 125?

I used to ride a KX 125, but I want a bike that has a light, and the KDX is considerably cheaper (I'm buying used)...

that understood, will it take the big hits as well as a KX, or close even?

How is the power band?... I loved the KX power band

How do the suspensions compare?.. I like air, but not crazy air, and I love to trail ride..

are the wieghts close?

fuel capacity?

Do you think this is a good choice for somoeone who was gonna buy a KX but wanted a bit more for his buck, and liked the light..

I'm 5'8" 165 lbs, and have more balls than brains sometimes... will this bike take the abuse?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
My suggestion, get another KX125 and put a lighting kit on it. Based on the way you ride I don't think you'll like a KDX.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Thanks for your reply.

what kinds of things can I do to make it run more like a KX?

Is the suspension designed for taking decent sized hits?

where does one get a light kit and how much do they cost? (I don't want a battery operated light, if thats what a light kit is)

I do more trail riding than sand dunes and stuff, wouldn't the KDX be better for that?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Here is your dilemma. In your first post you say:

"will it take the big hits as well as a KX, or close even?”

ANSWER: No

“I loved the KX power band”

ANSWER: The KDX has a totally different power delivery. Lots of power down low with a mild hit up top. That said, they can be modified to have good low end power and a great hit at higher rpm’s (see my signature for modifications).

“How do the suspensions compare?.. I like air…”

ANSWER: You might like air but the KDX’s dampening rod style, conventional forks don’t. With modifications the KDX forks can work OK in both woods and on the track, but they will never be very happy about track duty. If you like to be competitive on the track, a KDX will let you down.

So you have a few choices

(1) Buy a KDX and modify it. I have spent over $2,000 modifying my KDX to get it to the point where I like it in all conditions.

(2) Buy a KX and add an E-line (or similar) lighting kit. The e-line enduro kits sell for over $600 but they include a headlight, taillight, lighting coil (100 watts x2), wire harness, hydraulic brake light switch and three plus gallon fuel tank.

(3) Buy a KDX and add a KX front end. Some on this list have done this and have posted “how-to” articles. Do a search for information.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Thanks fo rthe input....

I decided on the KDX 200 and found a '01 for $1600... it was a no brainer.. even if I'm not happy with it I can get more than that out of it...

I took it for a couple test spins and I am happy so far.

I don't compete so being on the cutting edge is not necessary, and it has a decent amount of power... (got it to stand up tall in all 5 gears).

I should clarify also, the KX I used to ride was an early '80's (I rode it in the late '80's)... this KDX has EVERYTHING my old KX had and then some. (the power band is a little less radical though.. probably a good thing, considering I'm getting "old" now)

Im really glad to be back in the saddle.... Thanks for your input, it was very usefull, and now you can expect me to be haunting these forums (I'll try not be too "n00b" about it).. :)

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
took my KDX to the Nemadji trails in MN.... I am very happy I chose the KDX over the KX, it never would have performed as well in the tight single track.

gotta love it when you bog down and hit the throtle and pull right out of it.... the KX would have had to been tac'd to the nuts to make some of the climbs I idle up on the KDX.

mmmmm green love

Top Bottom