a1parrothead

Sep 26, 2007
Hello everyone,
I just bought a 1996 KDX 200.It runs great and I am running a 32:1 with Castro oil. It was and still is making a noise that I am not familiar with in a 2 stroke. It is not that typical 2-stroke noise, but a rattling type noise. Almost like a high pitched metalic clicking or a vibration, but from within the engine. Like if you were to tap on the exhaust pipe with a screwdriver. Before I bought the bike I had a friend that works at the local cycle shop listen to it. He said that he has heard this noise many times from 2-strokes with some hours on them. He said it was common and that it could be bearings getting older etc. He said thgey could run forever with this noise. Does anyone know what the cause is? Do you agree or disagree with my friend? Is it about to blow???
Thanks, Jeff

joebiodiesel

Dec 6, 2006
Search this forum for "KIPS Rattle", and read until you're exhausted. Get up tomorrow and read some more. That's probably what it is, but of course noises are hard to diagnose with a keyboard.
Joe

Jun 28, 2006
Worn pipe springs and worn out crush washer between the pipe and the cylinder will cause a rattle sound and in some cases goes away with engine speed (off idle). New springs, 0-rings for pipe with high temp rtv silicone, new copper crush washer. The copper crush washer keeps the steel pipe from beating against almun clyinder. But like the other guy said hard to determine here on the computer. good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom