1990kdx

Nov 9, 2010
my 1990 kdx 200 wont start. i replaced the coil because it want bad while on a ride two months ago. it getting spark but does not want to turn over. any idea most appreciated

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Sorry, you didn't provide sufficient information for any sort of helpful response. I can tell you that you need three things for it to start. Fuel, air, and a properly timed spark. One of these three things is obviously missing. I have no idea which one it is...

Got any background info on the bike? When was the last time it ran, and what was changed since then?

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
julien_d said:
Sorry, you didn't provide sufficient information for any sort of helpful response. I can tell you that you need three things for it to start. Fuel, air, and a properly timed spark. QUOTE]

compression helps too buddy :cool:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
And you can have fuel, air, a properly timed spark and compression, and it still may not start if the reeds are bad, lol.

But with bad reeds, the problem usually gets worse gradually. In the OP's case, we may have an instance of no-start all of a sudden, though he still has spark. Could be a sheared woodruff key on the flywheel? Just spitballing - need more info as julian said.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Indeed it does, but with bad reeds or low compression it will still usually hit. I assume when he says it won't "turn over", it's not hitting at all. Right? Maybe? Impossible to say at this point.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I agree, but he said it's getting spark, so I'm guessing he means it is not firing but it is spinning over.

Could be something simple like water in the fuel/float bowl, or a bad plug (they can spark outside but still be weak).

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
No way dude! It's obviously got a loose induction magnifier nut. Torque it to 35 ft/lbs and it'll run like new!

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
I'd say muffler bearings as a joke, but these days two of my bikes *do* have muffler bearings (the KDX with the KIPS assembly, and the Buell Ulysses with the exhaust valve).

And I don't think it's his kips assembly.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
You guys are mean!
You can have air, fuel, a properly timed spark, compression, a non snapped powerband, good reeds, a fully intact woodruff key, a good flux capacitor, your induction magnifier nut torqued it to 35 ft/lbs and you can even have the exhaust plug removed (thanks for that one sr5bidder) and it still wont start coz the gas is 3yrs old and your kill switch is faulty.

Please supply some symptoms Mr 1990KDX, other than it wont start. What have you tried?

1990kdx

Nov 9, 2010
it has fuel, compression 185 psi , spark, air. the gas is about two-three months old. it is 25 degrees during the day so i put heaters next to it for 3 hours and it still would not start .i kick it over about 100 times. i noticed that there is not a gasket on the exhaust pipe and it leaks when i kick it over

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sounds like you may have some condensation in the float bowl or in the gas tank.

I would drain the float bowl and fuel tank, then get some fresh gas and a new spark plug.

Here is my drill for starting a hard to start bike:

Turn the gas on and lay the bike on its side for 10 seconds - you want to see fuel running out the over flow tubes for at least a few seconds.

Pick the bike up and turn the choke on.

Kick it over SLOWLY a few times to prime the cylinder.

Find top dead center by moving the kickstarter gently - it will get slightly harder to move as you approach TDC. Just as the resistance eases, the piston is at TDC.

Put your right hand on the master cylinder so you don't give it any gas (some bikes do like a tiny bit of throttle on cold start, but you don't want any more than that).

Return the kicker to the top and KICK as hard as you can. If no luck, return to TDC and try again. (kicking from TDC lets the piston build up the maximum amount of speed before the next compression stroke).

Technique can make a big difference.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
First things first then. Drain carb and put fresh gas in it (if it's cold it may have condensation in it). I'd probably pull the carb appart and give it a clean too. Making sure the pilot jet isn't blocked etc and also making sure there is no water in it.

When you kick it over I would not expect it to leak out of the exhaust joint unless the exhaust is blocked or restricted in some way. If it has got a bad joint I would expect it to leak when it's running though. I'd be checking to make sure the exhast is not blocked in some way. Also, put a gasket on it.

Oh, and put a new plug in it, no harm in that.

Then start checking the other things mention except the stooopid ones.

So, check:
1. Woodruff key on fly wheel to make sure the timing is still good.
2. Reeds.
3. As it's not a newish bike, check to make sure the motor/carb boot isn't perished and sucking in heaps of air.

There's somewhere to start from anyway.

Re: post above DBD wrote that while I was writing this, then I posted it and Dave had said it too. I didn't copy, promise.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
1990kdx said:
the gas is about two-three months old.
Bingo.

Joburble said:
First things first then. Drain carb and put fresh gas in it
+1

My KLX450 sat for four months. I'd put Sta-Bil'ized fuel in the tank but that obviously did not reach the carb's float bowl.
Yesterday I tried to start it, to no avail. I drained the carb (fuel smelled like varnish), put fresh gas in the carb, and it fired right up.
Moral: modern gasoline formulations do NOT sit well for long.

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
1990kdx said:
it has fuel, compression 185 psi , spark, air. the gas is about two-three months old. it is 25 degrees during the day so i put heaters next to it for 3 hours and it still would not start .i kick it over about 100 times. i noticed that there is not a gasket on the exhaust pipe and it leaks when i kick it over

leaks what? air: then check for pluged up exhuast sytem
fuel: then your crank case is full of premix

i'd take the tank off and pour the gas from it into the riding mover, drain the carb, then take the spark plug out, take the flywheel cover off,use my electric drill set on counter clockwise and 17mm socket and spin the engine over to clear any premix in the cases.

then take the exhuast of and check it for blockage, put new gas in and new plug (if you buy your plugs at the auti parts store you can get 2 for the price of one at a motorcycle shop)

my best guess is that you have flooded your engine and fouled your plug.

second guess is that you didn't do a good job when repairing the coil and messed something up.

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
If the exhaust is leaking air it should fire at least. It'll run like crap but youd get it to turn over.

Try and take any variables out of the equasion and eliminate the easy stuff first: Clean carb, fresh gas, and what everyone else before me said.

Let us know how it goes....

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
sr5bidder said:
leaks what? air: then check for pluged up exhuast sytem
Already said that :nener:

C'mon Mr 1990kdx hows it going? One of the great things about this site is that we all get to be educated when a problem is solved enabling us all to give and get better suggestions next time.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Joburble said:
C'mon Mr 1990kdx hows it going? One of the great things about this site is that we all get to be educated when a problem is solved enabling us all to give and get better suggestions next time.
Amen.
One of my pet peeves is seeing a guy get all kinds of good, but different advice for a problem, then you don't hear from him again.
Let us know how you are progressing!!!
(we helped you, now you can help us?)

1990kdx

Nov 9, 2010
sorry havent been working on my bike. i did get it to start three times and staying running for about a minute each time. had to kick it 100 times to start it the first time then about 80 the other two times.

Acblind

Aug 21, 2010
1990kdx said:
sorry havent been working on my bike. i did get it to start three times and staying running for about a minute each time. had to kick it 100 times to start it the first time then about 80 the other two times.

Okay so you know all the basics (spark,air, and fuel) are there just not in the ideal combination. Start experimenting and let us know what you find.

1990kdx

Nov 9, 2010
i got my bike started on the first kick. i put on a exhaust gasket on with new springs and put heater on it and it fixed.started it 3 different time and started on the first kick every time.

Top Bottom