vDIRTv

May 22, 2008
I am glad I found this site.

Looking to buy my first dirt bike for trail riding and have decided on a two stroke.

I am 6'1'', 180 pounds and athletic fit. My buddy is really pushing me getting a KDX 200, but for some reason I am not sold on it yet and thinking more towards YZ 250 or KX 250...

I guess my question is what is that makes a KDX 200 better trail bike than YZ or KX 250s?

Also, I am thinking about spending no more than $3,000 for the bike. :ride:

mxrider992

Dec 18, 2006
a KDX is a trail bike by design, whereas the KX or YZ are motocross bikes by design. the KDX will have softer suspension, a softer power hit, and lazier handling, but still a good bike never the less. the YZ and the KX will have peppier motors, stiffer suspension, and quicker handling. is this your first bike ever, of just your first trail bike? if it is your first bike ever, i recommend the KDX, the KX or YZ might be too much to handle for a beginner.

Feb 26, 2006
It depends what type of trails. For really rocky, technical trails you can't go wrong with a KDX. However, from experience I know that a toned down YZ or KX is the best for back woods trails that are still tight but a little faster paced. The KDX is a great bike for begginers, but honestly, I have a KX 250 with a stealthy flywheel weight is just as easy to ride, especially for shorter riders. The best thing is that you can find great KX's YZ's and KDX's for much less than 3,000. In fact, I may go pick up a Factory Kawasaki KX 250 race bike for only 3,200.

vDIRTv

May 22, 2008
I grew up riding bicycles and street motorcycles, but have not been riding for 8 years now... So this would be my first dirt bike. The trail we will ride is hilly and pretty narrow I hear.

My concern is that if I do get the KDX 200 I will grow out of it in a month and will want more out of performance.

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I'm 6'2" and 220, and my KDX200 has been carrying me around happily for 5 years...

KDX200s in great shape with loads of goodies can be had for $2k. I say get one of those and ride it for a while. If you want something later on you can get something different.

However, I don't suggest you throw tons of money at a KDX200 to hop it up (as I have). Ride it for a while, and if you want more out of it, get something else.

Unless you are experienced, I would think a KX/YZ 250 two-stroke would be a handful on a tight trail. If you must get one of those, look into getting a flywheel weight to tame the hit; you can also change the gearing to help in that department.

Top Bottom