Dirtymonk

May 11, 2009
Hallo Everyone. Im new to this forum, and I hope someone can help me.

I Recently purchased a KDX 200 E.(my first ofroad bike). It needs a bit of work which I will try and do all by myself as far as possible.

First I need to find out the Year model.
How do I do that? All I know is that its between an `89 and `92 model.

Once I have that, I will need a Exploded Diagram of the engine with partsnumbers and names.

This will make it a lot easier when ordering parts from the agents. Here in Cape Town.

I used to own a 1996 ZZR 400K and that does not compare anything to the KDX 200. I cant believe the quick throttle response. Its a hellava lot more fun riding a dirtbike than a roadbike and much easier to work on.

Kind regards

IDK83

May 11, 2009
Find the vin and bring it to the dealer they should be able to tell you what it is. They should be able to get you a parts blow up too.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Go to Kawasaki's webpage and put in your frame number in the my Kawasaki area... that will tell you what year it is. There are also parts diagrams on the site as well, kinda in the same area. I'm not sure if they go back to 89-92 but give it a try

Dirtymonk

May 11, 2009
KDX 200 Info

Thanks

Ive noted that the oil level "window" is white.

So I drained the oil. which was a Dark grey Colour.

Does this mean that Ive blown a Head gasket, or could it mean something else.

Dirtymonk

May 11, 2009
I just tried registring on Kawasaki webpage (kawasaki com)

I need to fill in a Zip code, unsure of what that is.

So its no use now. Will try again tomorrow.

theckeler

Feb 1, 2009
Dirtymonk said:
I just tried registring on Kawasaki webpage (kawasaki com)

I need to fill in a Zip code, unsure of what that is.

So its no use now. Will try again tomorrow.

Where are you from? In the us we have postal codes, or zip codes, might be able to just add 44111 or something like that?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
You can also get the info from kawasaki's website without registering if you click on the "purchase manuals" link on the bottom left. That will take you to a page where you put in the VIN. After you enter the VIN and submit you will get the bike info, and a list of available manuals for it.

Dirtymonk

May 11, 2009
Thanks guy`s

I`m a South African and stay in Cape Town.

I spoke to the Kawasaki Agents here and they assured me that its a 1989 model from the headstock number that I gave them.

I also asked for a Blow up diagram of the engine, but they kindly refused. :(

I spoke to a bike mechanic today about my sump oil thats a dark greyish colour. He told me it could either be a headgasket. Or a waterpump gasket that must be replaced.

Furthermore he said that KDX`s have a tendancy to blow those gaskets.

Is this true? I cant think that a KDX is any more prone to blow gaskets than any other make of 2 stroke bike.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
the waterpump seal likes to go, but it's not the surface mating gasket, it's an oil seal that seals around the water pump shaft where it goes into the RH side. If you pull off the inner clutch cover and look inside it you'll see what I mean. As far as head gasket, I can't figure any possible way that a blown head gasket would get water into your transmission, and to my knowledge they aren't prone to blowing out head gaskets anyway. You may get water in the crankcase with a busted head gasket, but for it to go from there into the tranny you'd have to have a bad crank seal as well.

BTW, my 2 cents is that the dark grey oil may have just lived in the tranny for too long and collected too many bits of clutch plate and other debris. I wouldn't dig into that too much until you can run it with clean oil and see if it turns milky. If it's leaking water, it'll look like a milkshake when you drain it.

Bikebandit, servicehonda, ronayers, and several other sites have exploded views of the engine and all other bits. I purchased a shop manual for my 89 from ebay in downloadable version for 9.99.

J.

Dirtymonk

May 11, 2009
I found the complete manual on thesparesnetwork And someone mailed me a fiche diagram of the engine.

So I guess Im pretty sorted for now. Saterday I will visit the agents here in Cape Town armed with a manual and the old parts to order the new stuff. Emailing them is pretty useless.

I will keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Jun 8, 2009
Kawasaki Identification Tip(s)

Dirtymonk said:
Hallo Everyone. Im new to this forum, and I hope someone can help me.

I Recently purchased a KDX 200 E.(my first ofroad bike). It needs a bit of work which I will try and do all by myself as far as possible.

First I need to find out the Year model.
How do I do that? All I know is that its between an `89 and `92 model.

Once I have that, I will need a Exploded Diagram of the engine with partsnumbers and names.

This will make it a lot easier when ordering parts from the agents. Here in Cape Town.

I used to own a 1996 ZZR 400K and that does not compare anything to the KDX 200. I cant believe the quick throttle response. Its a hellava lot more fun riding a dirtbike than a roadbike and much easier to work on.

Kind regards

Jun 8, 2009
Gooday "Dirtymonk",
Have you looked at the steering/ fork column, there should either be a plate or it will be stamped into the frame metal itself. However, be careful as to make sure that you have the original motor and not a replacement. There is a site that you can go to and look up the year, place of assembly, etc. Unfortunately, the site escapes my brain right now. Try going to google and entering the search there. Also, if you tell a little more about the actual physical description of the bike, you just might be suprised.
Good Luck.
JB Magee

Top Bottom