kdx 220 1998

Trent Dyck

Feb 10, 2005
Hey there folks. Jeepers, I feel like a dork. Bike is having issues getting started. Help. Talk to me like I'm 2 as I'm stumped. Help botheres and sisters

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
Pull the fuel line ck & make sure fuel is flowing out of the petcock. Pull the spark plug , reconect to the wire, have someone kick it and look at spark. (make sure it's touching any metal part) Spark needs to be strong and blue. If not replace plug. If spark is fine and fuel is flowing take carb out and clean the jets.
Another is: before you start, take bike outside garage, open fuel, twist throtle and lean bike over (handlebar almost touching ground). This will cause fuel to fill the carb bowl plus sip a bit directly into cyl. (you should see a bit of gas dripping to the floor through the carb vents). It works well specially when bike has been sitting for a few weeks. Hope this helps. :ride:

Trent Dyck

Feb 10, 2005
starting issues 1998 KDX 220

Hey thanks, I'll give it a whirl this aft. Just got back from the shop and I did manage to get it started but as soon as I touch the gas, it bogs and stalls. After it stalls, I can't seem to get it fired again. I'll try you tip and let you know. Good spark and the like. Also, there is a little black screw on the carb. Idle speed?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…