ThinGlenn40

Aug 26, 2002
I have a 97 KDX220. MY son has a 97 KX250. I happen to have a extra rolling chasis. It is a 96 KX250. Is it possible to put those forks on my KDX? And if so is there any benifit to doing it? I weigh a little over 200lbs and do mostly woods riding.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I did the complete conversion from KDX forks (1996 KDX 200) to 2000 KX 125 forks. The handling of the KDX with the KX forks is a huge plus in the woods and esp. on the MX parts of a race or just going to the MX track.

The conversion is not real hard.
1. Press the KDX stem out of their clamps and then Press the KDX stem into the KX lower clamp. You will need to shim the KDX stem and press the stem and shims into the lower KX clamp.

2. use the KDX bearings

3. when installing the KX clamps/KDX stem the top clamp will need some spacers between the stem nut and the bottom of the top clamp.

4. the inside of the top clamp will need a shim between the stem and inside of the top clamp hole. tighten it down with the KDX top clamp nut.

5. The steering stop will need some modification. The KX clamps hit the tank before the steering stop.

6. install KX front end and your ready to ride.

The KX front end is much better on the Track and in ruts and riding over rocks or roots. I was very pleased with my conversion.

Finished everything on the KDX, sold it to a buddy, and bought a KTM 250sx (figure that).

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
MidHigh,

I am in the middle of completing a similar conversion ('97 KX250 front end on my 220 '03).

I will ask the local bike shop to press the kdx stem out of its original lower clamp... it will not buge if I heat the clamp and then use a 5 pound sledge hammer. Anyways, what do you mean by "you will need to shim the kdx stem " (first bullet). I thought that the lower outside diameter of the Kdx and Kx stems are the same. I thought this was a simple swap. Please clarify before and visit the bike shop and the guy behind the counter tells me "sorry, it can't be done..."

Thanks for the assistance.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
I just checked my bearings at hand and doubled checked the buykawasaki.com site to confirm that the kdx (95-04) and 96-96 KX250 have the same bearing number for the bottow of the steering stem. Sorry Midhigh but I can't figure out why I should "shim the KDX stem and press the stem and shims into the lower KX clamp."

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I believe that is correct on the lower bearing. The top bearing, however is different.

As for getting the stem OUT of the lower KDX stem, The shop had to cut my lower clamp to free up the stem for removal. This is not uncommon according to Jeff Fredette's shop.

As for the shim when you press it into the KX lower clamp. The KDX stem will press into the lower clamp fine. But their is just enough difference in the diameter of the KDX to KX stem for the KDX stem to slip and spin inside the KX lower clamp. Thus a shim is needed to tighten up the fit and get you set to install onto your KDX.

Don't worry, about the shim. When you press it into the KX lower clamp you will see why you need that shim. I used aluminum for my shims (again reccomended by Jeff Fredette's shop).
All these modifications come straight form Jeff Fredette's shop. He talked me though the entire process, and then bought my 96 KDX front end.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I have 96kx 250 entire front end on my 96 kdx 200. I did not change to any stiffer springs and I am lumbering around 240lbs on the bike. It makes the kdx a new bike that is now more motocross capable than any original fork mod.
I wish I could have the shock off the 96 kx you have.

ThinGlenn40

Aug 26, 2002
Thanks for the replys. Hey KDXJohn220 will you post here again when you complete your conversion to let me know how it went?

Thanks,

Glenn

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
My local bike shop called back today: I'm sure you are not surprised that they weren't successfull in removing the stem from kdx clamp. The stem did not move with a 3 tone press.... Since I don't want to cut the clamp, I'll bring it Friday to a reputable metal/mechanic shop. They have a 50 tone press !!!

I got the expected answer from my bike shop... "Euhhhh... we never done that before... Euhhhh... and I don't know were it can be made! Good thing there a lot of snow around here...

I'll keep you posted.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
John,

Jeff Fredette's shop can do all the stem and clamp work for you if you want to ship it to them. Change out the stem, make the shims and all. Then all you have to do is put it on the bike and do the mod. to the steering stop.

I liked doing it myself, but fredette's shop is clearly skilled and experienced in the KDX to KX conversion.

Just a thought if your having problems finding local shops to help and machine the shims.

Last edited:

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Finished everything on the KDX, sold it to a buddy, and bought a KTM 250sx (figure that).
Midhigh, Was that you're KDX on ebay that sold for $1600? I crapped my pants when I saw that the next day. I was kicking myself for not being awake at the end of that auction!

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Yep! It sold for $1650
A buddy that I ride with (he lives two blocks from me) won the auction and I didn't even know he was looking at it. I was very surprised to find out he was the winning bid. For that price, however, I'm glad he won it. I thought it would go for more. It is a very sweet and mint KDX.

But the good thing is that I got my 2003 KTM 250sx for just over $3k. So I guess everyone got a good deal.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Today, I completed the installation of the inverted KX forks on my 220. I used ’97 KX250 lower and upper clamps and wheel hub assembly to complete the conversion.

On its first attempt, the machine shop wasn’t able to remove the KDX stem from its lower clamp while using 20,000 pounds of pressure! They then proceded to heat the lower clamp and thick smoke revealed that KHI in Taiwan use excellent industrial strenght « loctite ». (They should also learn to use grease, but that’s another story…) Once heated, 16,000 pounds of pressure was sufficient remove the stem. To avoid bending the stem, they installed at shaft over the stem and applied the pressure directly on the shaft.

Unlike midhigh’s convervion (see above), shims weren’t necessary in the lower clamp. I see his point though, the KX and KDX holes appear to be the same diameter but there are not (1000's of an inch different). In my case, shims would be required if I wanted to install the KX stem in the KDX clamp.

I used the KX stem nut as a spacer between the kdx stem nut and the bottom of the top clamp. (Again, see midhigh’s conversion Point 3).

Point 4 : As stated by Midhigh, a ship is required on the upper clamp. I wraped about 4 inches of thin automotive aluminium sheet metal around the kdx stem.

Point 5 : No need to modify the steering stop in my case. The KX clamps mis the gas tank by about ¼ inch.

I wanted to reinstall the front lighting system but the kdx lower light bracket doesn’t fit on the lower KX clamps. The solution was simple : cut and trim the kdx lower light braket in two sections, install on the KX clamps, align with the kdx headlight and use appropriate spacers and longer bolts.

PS : Anybody who does this conversion should take the extra 20 minutes to install a greasing zerk on the steering head.

does it ever look good. Now, if that whit sh*t can melt!

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Thanks for the info, I just completed my rebuild of my KX conversion. The 94 Kx 250 forks I had before were damaged so I bought a pair of 93 KX 250 forks along with the clamps because the old clamps wouldnt fit the new forks. I pressed the stem out and when I pressed my 98 KDX 200 stem into the 93 kx bottom clamp I found that I didnt need a spacer either. I found that there isn't any movement in the stem so I put it all together and read this post and it had me worried that i was going to have to take it all apart and put in a spacer. I cant wait to get the rest of my bike put back together so I can go out riding. Thanks again

Ben

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I have seen some ohlins forks go for about $500 on ebay, It's been pretty tempting.... has anyone else thought about this? I've been pretty pleased with my MX-tech modified stock forks

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I don't know too much about ohlins forks so I wouldnt know how they would fit but give it a try and let us know. I have found Kayaba forks on ebay for like $250 which isnt too bad when a dealer wants 1300 for one fork!

Ben

kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
Hey Zerotact, what did mx tech do to your forks and how did you like it, and why are you considering the ohlins, ( asking because I need some front end work, I bought frp springs which helped alot but still would like more high speed control) thanks Kevin

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I sent mine to Wilkey himself, For new springs and a re-valve. From what little riding skills I have the forks make the bike a whole lot more stable. YOu just tell them what your bieke doesn't do that you want it to do, and they try to get you there..
the Ohlins fork deal... Well, that would just be something to do that would just be supertrick, for the sake of doing something diffrent.... I would probably get a set that would fit on a KX, and graft that onto the KDX.....

kevin c.

Jan 28, 2003
Zerotact, thanks for the reply, I kinda thought that the ohlins would be cool too, but if I could be happy with a revalve and spring job then that would be easier, but if you did that and were still not happy then I wouldnt bother, I would just go with new forks. thanks Kevin

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Wilkey also told me he could mod the stock kdx fork for full compression and rebound adjustability... which was one of the few decent reasons I saw for swaping forks.

Top Bottom