tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
I'm looking for opinions if I should re-jet my bike. It's an 01 KDX 220 with a Pro Circuit pipe and silencer. I've only had the bike two weeks so last night I pulled the carb to see how it's jetted. I found a 160 main with a 60 pilot. After reading the tech section on this site it looks like others run smaller jets (42 pilot, 145/148 main) My plug color is perfect so should I bother changing the jets?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Seems we've been here before??

Determining jetting status from plug color is pretty much a waste of time. There are multiple circuits in the carb, and I doubt you know which circuit made that color, for one.

And if it was a WOT main jet check you shouldn't be seeing much if any color anyway.

When things are way out of whack (based on what anyone else uses) you have to wonder. No, you can't jet your bike by what someone else tells you, but 160/60 on a 220 is...well...way out of whack.

Do you have a 35mm carb (from a 200) on it? That would make sense on the main part, cuz that's stock. But a 60 pilot? What on earth for? Your throttle response should be awful.

But...bet it starts easy, 'eh?

re: 'I'm looking for opinions if I should re-jet my bike. '

Absolutely.

Braahp! Uh oh. I fergot about something, huh? Crappers. I'll mail it today! My apologies, please!

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
If its not fouling plugs and smokin' alot I'd say your close. How is the power delivery? No hesitations, stumbles, or bogs? Does wide open seem ok or does power kinda go flat? Have you done the airbox mod yet? Remove snorkel and drill holes or just get rid of lid altogether and see how it runs. I bet you will notice an improvement and it won't be too lean.

tim_from_az

Sep 18, 2003
The carb is the stock 33 mm. Airbox mods have been done. Guess I'll pick up some small jets and see what happens. I'd like to hear what jetting other 220 owners are running

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
Hey guys I was wondering why 160 and 60 is WAY off, I know I have an old bike 81 KDX250 and it calls for 162.5 and 60. Wouls they be that different from the 220?? My carb is a 36mm, only 2mm larger.
Maybe I'm out in left field.

Top Bottom