VARider

Nov 15, 2002
I'm re-assembling my KIPS on a KDX 220. I have the main shaft pinions aligned with the valve rods (ref 4-13 in the manual).

My 1st question is: on the left side, the valve rod groove aligns with the indentation on the pinion. What aligns the pinion with relation to the main shaft? For example, I rotated the main shaft so that the right side alignment indentation is at 12:00, Am I supposed to hold the left side at 12:00 as I tighten the main shaft nut? Or, is there some better way to make sure both sides are aligned together? (It's too easy to loose alignment as I tighten the nut.)

My 2nd question is: As I searched the forum for similar a similar question/answer, I saw mention of a manual correction. Where can I get more information regarding this manual correction?

redsput

Feb 13, 2005
Q1) Just finished a top end job myself last weekend. With aid of the factory manual and my local Kawa-mechanic input... I aligned mine just by making sure the "barrel" valves were symetrical in position. Meaning as I twist the gear to open - they both open close at pretty much the same time. It's running great! :cool:

chris_psmith

Mar 12, 2006
Did my one a few weeks ago, you can feal the guides opening with your finger, aligned them so they were both flush by touch to the inside surface of the cylinder, can check they both close fully and are flush when open ie. free flowing. It was easy enough to lift the cylinders up and re-insert them one tooth round to ensure it was right. Just a bit of trial and error to convince yourself they are both set right. Reading what I have just written doesn't make much sense, but it is easy enough if you can see what they are doing when the shaft is activated.

Top Bottom