midgemaster

Jul 15, 2001
ok . . . I'm almost there. just need to make sure i'll be able to have some fun on the mx track on a bike designed for the trails before I fork over the big bucks for a new 220. i'm not looking to enter any mx races - just split my riding about 50/50 between track and trails. I'm a pretty new rider. any reassurance will be greatly appreciated!

while I'm at it . . . I have never purchased a new bike. is there any or how much price negotiating is there with the dealer?

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I own a 99 KDX220 and run it almost entirely MX and I haven't had any problems. My suspension work was done by Race Tech before I purchased the bike and it works well. I have ridden other woods bikes on tracks and you may need to switch to stiffer fork springs and/or heavier oil, you can probably stiffen the shock enough by increasing compression dampening and adding a bit of preload. FYI I weigh 175lbs.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Just keep in mind that he KDX was designed more for the woods and not the MX track. You will DEFINTELY need to get the shocks and forks revalved with stiffers prings if you weigh more than 130 lbs. Another thing to keep in mind is the fact you will be racing 250's. A modiified 220 will keep up with 250's but you wont get that "yank your arms outta the socket " pull from the turns that a CR250 would.

If you plan on being on the MX track as more than the woods, maybe a MX bike would be a better bet. (Did I just say that?) :scream:

midgemaster

Jul 15, 2001
re: kx forks on kdx 220

the dealer has switched the stock kdx forks with those from a kx 250. any thoughts on that? also, if the fork switch is positive, what would stiffining up the back entail? thanks!

JimVowell

Jul 19, 2001
I just bought a 2001 KDX220a8 and its the coolest bike Ive ever rode. I used to be involved in racing and my brother was a top level pro motocrosser in the mid 80's. He loves the bike, but in its stock form the forks will need some work. They are way to soft. Most MX courses now have huge jumps which will kill you with stcok suspension. Engine wise the Dirt BIke June 2001 has some cool Pipe/Sliencer and Carb mods to get more horsepower. Actually the stock version motor has a very usable powerband, but its seems that each gear could have some more. The mods take care of that. Enjoy your new bike. Peace ...

Top Bottom