AinChains

Oct 3, 2005
I have an 05 KDX 220. How much would I have to spend with suspension and engine mods to be somewhat competitive to a KX 250, or would I be better off just trading my bike for a KX. I like riding trails and track. I want to start racing hare scrambles and I want to be competitive. All help appreciated.

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
To me this is sort of an apples vs oranges thing. The KDX is a wonderful trail bike, but not well suited for track duty or racing. The KX is a good track and race bike, but not so good for trail use.

The way I see it, the KX would take less money to get it closer to the other side of the equation than dumping money into the KDX. No matter how much you spend the KDX is still going to be heavy, as compared to the more modern race bikes; like the KX.

Jan 16, 2005
I want to start racing hare scrambles and I want to be competitive.

You can be competitive in HS on a modified KDX if your skills are up to it. But if you're looking to be competitive in both venues, then get the KX.

You can still get smoked on a KX by a clapped out ride with a great pilot if your abilites are less then average. But you already know this... :cool:

nfisher87

Oct 30, 2002
Some food for thought...in my area the 220 would have to race against 250s. Those 250 mx'rs are leaps and bounds technology wise than the kdx. I ride with a friend of mine who used to have a 98 cr250 with tons of woods goodies. The suspension alone made me jealous, I could ride with less effort through sections which would make me cringe on my kdx. I say if you want to race go for the kx and make it woods friendly. I have a kdx220 with the normal gambit of mods and I like for just havin fun but it can't compare to a 250.

Top Bottom