widgetaviator

Dec 20, 2007
I have recently purchased a totally stock '04 KDX220 and I'm trying to determine if its running as it should power wise. Without dropping the clutch I can pull the front wheel off the ground maybe a foot at most in the first couple of gears. It runs smoothly after that but power definitely tapers off and seems to want to be short shifted. I am about 205 lbs and I live at about 1000'. The bike appears to have very low hours on it, not even sure if it could be considered broken in yet. Also the owner's manual suggest removing the head and cylinder after the initial 10 hours (I think) for inspection, is this overkill, or should it definitely be done. I might consider some power mods but I would definitely have to consider cost vs. gain.

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
I have exactly the same bike and can recommend the following:
1 - toss away the airbox lid and mount the CDI unit to the front of the airbox
2 - fit FMF desert Gnarly and Powercore II silencer
3 - fit Boyesen reeds
4 - deffinitely change the piston to a Wiseco before 20 hours
This will really wake the bike up and give much better power and respnse.
Then start working on the front suspension................

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
I recently sold my KDX220 after spending $1000+ in mods - recently bought a KTM 4 stoke. The fact is, everything about the KDX is old technology. If you like two strokes, you're much better off to buy a newer YZ250 or RM250, add a torque pipe and a heavy flywheel weight, and you will have a woods bike that is far superior to any KDX (IMO). The KDX is fine for rec trail riding, but if you're looking for more power you might consider all options before spending a ton of money on KDX mods. Just my opinion.

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
Be sure and read the FAQs and KDX hop up guides at beginning of this section. Has just what you need to know for correct mods when your skills are ready. Most KDX220 riders will skip the factory rec'm top end insp at 10 hours and then install Wiseco at around 20 hrs.

widgetaviator

Dec 20, 2007
Thanks guys. All this info is good but, what I really want to know is if I am starting out with a bike that appears to be running properly as the factory intended. This way I can better know if there is anything I should be looking into before I start with any mods. I will probably do the pipe/silencer and reeds in the next few months, as well as open the airbox and jetting. I guess I will have to take a closer look at my piston before deciding on that. But I really don't want to spend a whole lot of money on it as it was purchased used and I'll never get that money back out should I choose to sell it. I also have to consider the option of simply finding a different higher performing used bike for the cost of the mods to this one, but I would rather not shop for another bike at this time as this one is really really clean and is probably well suited for my general recreational trail riding needs.

hart125

Dec 11, 2003
power valve

you really just want to be sure the power valve is working properly. if it is stuck shut you will have limited power. the easiest way to see is to unscrew the round slotted cover on the left side of the engine. the one right under the head near the front top of the cyl next to the exhaust pipe,, left side when your sitting on it. its about the size of a 50 cent piece.
if your rev the machine from idle to wide open and see the little cam rotate about 90 degrees and then back when you let off ,,the power valve is working properly.
if it is not working properly you would want to pull it apart and clean the power valve setup and replace the piston with the wiseco.. should be a fun bike! I really like the power of the stock 220,. mine is a frp 220 ported, air striker rb carb, vforce 3 reeds and platinum 2 pipe. Way too strong for woods or tight enduro

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
I'm not necessarily recommending the YZ or RM over the KTM 2strokes - KTM makes a very nice woods bike. The YZ or RM are just suggestions.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
The kdx 220 responds well to simple mods. Many people under estimate the impact of proper jetting. Air box lid toss and pipe with proper jetting will give you a different perspective. Keep in mind, The bike is not ported to be a rever. It's got gobs of torque
and likes to be short shifted. If you are looking for mx, buy mx. It's a solid reliable bike that has very low maintenance costs and you will learn to trust it.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
jschiller said:
I have exactly the same bike and can recommend the following:1 - toss away the airbox lid and mount the CDI unit to the front of the airbox2 - fit FMF desert Gnarly and Powercore II silencer3 - fit Boyesen reeds4 - deffinitely change the piston to a Wiseco before 20 hoursThis will really wake the bike up and give much better power and respnse.Then start working on the front suspension................
** **** You will see huge gains vs cost. Fact is you have a very reliable fun bike. I have an 03 and 04 220 with every mod you will find on here. Had to stay two stroke and did go to a YZ250 which I just ordered a 285 big bore kit for. No matter what bike you have you will always keep adding on looking for fun and speed. Its the nature of the beast* :yikes:* The only thing I disagree about is the piston. I changed the rings twice on one bike and once on the other before needing a piston replacement. Maybe i got lucky, just my two cents for what its worth. Good luck and have fun!* :nener:

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
The only thing I disagree about is the piston. I changed the rings twice on one bike and once on the other before needing a piston replacement. Maybe i got lucky, just my two cents for what its worth. Good luck and have fun!*

That's what I thought, then it cost me a packet, better to be safe than sorry!

Top Bottom