KDX 250 Carb question

bweymouth

Sep 8, 2005
I have a 1992 KDX250. When I bought it (used), it was running very very rich. The main jet was a 160 and I changed it to a 158. Also, I moved the jet needle to the 1st position. The bike runs alot better but now it idles a little too high. How can I bring the idle down a bit?? Should I change the pilot jet? :bang:

Also, should I change the jet needle as it is on the 1st position? Please let me know. Thanks!!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The KDX 250 is jetted extremely rich stock. You will want to lean the main to a 155 or 158, put in a leaner needle (higher #), put in a smaller pilot jet (#38, I think) and if you really want the most out of it, you will want a slide with 1mm more cutaway (you can grind 1mm off your stock slike or purchase a new slide). One of the members in the KDX section (Duc748, I think) has assembled alot of useful information on setting up the KDX250, including many of the tips I used on my '91. Next time you do a top end, get a thinner head gasket from an '88 KX250 for more compression and better low end power.

bweymouth

Sep 8, 2005
Thanks, I just ordered the new needle. The parts guy told me that the stock needle is a #1368 and to go leaner I would need a 1367. Is that correct? Your reply tells me to go to a higher number. Please let me know which is correct.

Thanks!

43Duc748

May 13, 2004
1367 is the one you want. If you do a search of this site you will find a lot of good info on the 250, however, I've compiled most of it here:

http://www.garage.whatburns.com/KDX2.htm

You can also adjust the idle using the idle screw (not the air screw). The idle screw is the one w/ the spring.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…