KdxMik3

Feb 19, 2009
Hi,
i'm thinking about buying a kdx 250 sr model, but I am not sure how suitable the bike is for road use. I am not planing to do any long traveling with the bike but except the forest I would also like to use the bike to drive to and in town. And if i use it like that how many kilometers or miles would the engine last before needing a rebuild?

I am also curious what the technical differences are between the normal and the sr model. I read somewhere that the normal piston wont fit the sr. Would it then still be possible to get a forged one for the sr?
Thanks for any info

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Sounds like a sweet bike. If it was a good deal I think I'd have to jump on it. I wish I had some info on parts availability for you though, but I'm just not sure. It should be easy enough to do some digging and find out. I would hope that it would use the same piston. If not, perhaps some KX piston will work.

I think a kdx250 would be an awesome bike for zipping around town. If it's oil injected, that will cut down on the smoke at idle and low rpm's (I love oil injection). I'd expect if the top end was done correctly and tolerances were right you'd get many miles from it as a dual sport. Best to figure out what goes in that top end first though...... Surely someone that hangs around here will know!

I googled up some images and it sure is sexy.

J.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
SR piston has 19mm pin and 5mm less comp height, to use a 18mm pin piston you also fit a 125mm conrod. Tough engine has steel inserts for the main bearings and a balance shaft to cut down vibes. Original bore plating is crap, if it needs replating you can poke it out to 72mm and run a Gas Gas piston.
Same saggy frontend as E model, add tee and schrader valve run 12psi for trails 15psi for jumps, haven't found the need to revalve mine.
Much heavier bike than E model.
If your wanting to clock up serious k's an XR400 or DRZ400 would be more appropriate, they are similar in weight.

Top Bottom