1205CLUB

Aug 26, 2009
i'm new to the KDX world and just bought a 1992 KDX 250. But the stator is missing which i didnt think would be this hard to find one well that is what i get for thinking as my wife would say!!!!! does anyone have any info. on one or something else i can use i'm not going to be running any lights just riding w/ my kids.
thanks,

1205CLUB

Aug 26, 2009
i found a couple for some older ones and alot for the 200's. do you or anyone know if the older ones will fit a 92 model? i have been looking and cant much info on them, any help would be great.

nearma12

Mar 29, 2009
The KDX250 motor is based on the 88-89 KX250 motor. So, you should be able to use on from a KX of that era. You won't be able to run lights with it, but that's OK since you don't need them. I'm not sure about a KDX200 stator, but I would guess that it will not fit since the engines are completely different. Hope you can find one. The KDX250 is a pretty fun bike.

1205CLUB

Aug 26, 2009
if i have to go with the kx stator would i have to change the CDI box? i know i will have to change the fly wheel. i cant believe it is this hard to find a stator, WOW!
thanks for the help atleast i will be able to get it running now that i know what i need.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Have you tried calling one of the stator repair shops like ricky stator? Maybe they have some ideas or can set you up.

FWIW, the KDX250 flywheel is quite heavy, which is a nice thing for a trail bike. Putting on a lighter KX flywheel will be a difference you will feel, but maybe it will suit your style more than the KDX heavy flywheel.

1205CLUB

Aug 26, 2009
i tried Ricky's and they said they dont have one. i'm waiting to here back from Jeff Fredette's shop they said that would know more on mon. i can only hope, i really dont want to use the KX fly wheel that is the reason i wanted a KDX. what are other guys doing about this?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
HEre is the thing. IT is just not the stator/flywheel that makes the bike a KDX.

larger fuel tank
decreased output from the 250 motor
spark arrestor
lighting
WR gearing

That is basically what makes a KDX there. The 250 was derrived from the 89 KX250 motor, but with less compression, a crappy stock pipe and horrible jetting. Do some searching on the KDX250, and you will find out some info on the jetting. You also need a KX .26 headgasket, open the airbox and get an aftermarket pipe, then the fun part jetting the bike. it will totally rip at that point, porting the cylinder will help a ton with some Vforce Reeds.

1205CLUB

Aug 26, 2009
thanks for the info. it is looking like i am going to have to go w/ the kx stator and fly wheel. is there anything else that i might need? has anyone done this? i am hoping to get this thing running this weekend to go riding w/ my boys i got to sit on the tail gate sunday and watch them ride (do get me wrong i enjoyed it) but would rather be riding w/ them. any more info would be great and thanks for all that i have got.

1205CLUB

Aug 26, 2009
the entire stator assembly is gone. i do have the flywheel! i put the ing. out of a 89 kx 250 in it but it olny would fit no room for adjustment at all and it is retarded. but it will run, not like i think it should though. any help would be great. i bought a stator and flywheel from ebay that the guy say was for a 250 but its for a 200. so im back to the drawing board again. any ideas?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Have you called Jeff Fredette at frpoffroad.com? Keep searching for a KDX250 stator assembly. If you find one you think you want to buy, post it here, so someone can comment on whether it is KDX250 or other.

1205CLUB

Aug 26, 2009
i called him today and waiting for a call back. the 200 stator and flywheel look like it would fit but i think i would have to buy a CDI box for a 200? but im not sure does anyone else know? im not sure what the wiring is going into the cdi box on my 250, cause the 200 doesnt have the w/g or blk/w coming off the stator?

1205CLUB

Aug 26, 2009
i just talked the guy i bought the stator from and he said it came off of a 94 KDX250. is there a diff. in the stator and CDI box wiring between a 92 and a 94?

Top Bottom