ericzx7

Jul 6, 2008
I have an '81 KDX420 that is leaking gas out of the drain tube at a constant rate any time the petcock is turned on. Anyone have any suggestions? Do you think the float is sticking, or should I check something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

digifox

May 25, 2006
I have this same problem with my KD

sticking float
Take the carb off shake it REALLY hard, or take the bowl off and clean it all really well.

ericzx7

Jul 6, 2008
digifox said:
I have this same problem with my KD

sticking float
Take the carb off shake it REALLY hard, or take the bowl off and clean it all really well.

Wow! Didn't have to wait long for a reply. Thanks for the help! I thought that's what the problem was, but I still don't know much about setting up, or working on carbs. Hopefully going to school in August to remedy that problem! Thanks again!

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
sticky needle ,and seat, take it apart ,and clean it
turn the carb upside down ,and blow through the gas line to see if it is shutting the fuel off completely- if not the needle might be worne out, check the tip for grooves
check the float height if possible go to eb@y, and you can get a owners manual
dont forget to clean the little pilot jet, and most likely you will need a new set of reeds, i cant remember what year is interchangeable -
as i have the 81 kx 420,and needed them you probly will to
clean the silencer ,and repack it-
IF YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL DONT THROUGH IT AWAY!!!
find a way to fix it its very rare
i still havent found one stock for mine in 17 years of owning it
clean the air filter as well-

ericzx7

Jul 6, 2008
jason33 said:
sticky needle ,and seat, take it apart ,and clean it
turn the carb upside down ,and blow through the gas line to see if it is shutting the fuel off completely- if not the needle might be worne out, check the tip for grooves
check the float height if possible go to eb@y, and you can get a owners manual
dont forget to clean the little pilot jet, and most likely you will need a new set of reeds, i cant remember what year is interchangeable -
as i have the 81 kx 420,and needed them you probly will to
clean the silencer ,and repack it-
IF YOU HAVE THE ORIGINAL DONT THROUGH IT AWAY!!!
find a way to fix it its very rare
i still havent found one stock for mine in 17 years of owning it
clean the air filter as well-

Thanks for all the info! I have only had this bike a few months, so I'm still getting to know it. I had no idea the silencer was that hard to come by. Thanks for the heads up!

Top Bottom