mudslinger

Jun 26, 2001
Hello all, new to the board so overlook my lack of knowledge. I picked up what I thought was going to be a fun project bike. Man, has it turned out to be a project. Almost a little more than I bargained for. It's a KDX 420. I've been put off by kaw on getting a manual, but I'm on the pre-order list on all the book clubs. I can't seem to find any useful info on this bike at all. I've searched the net, but the only thing I can find is listings for a 450. I don't even know what year this thing is for sure. I'm guessing an 81, but it's just a guess. Would any of you have any other ideas on where I could find a manual? Or maybe someone knows somebody who owns or has owned one. I'm beginning to get desperate. I've worked on all the piddly stuff I can work on, but it's time to get serious. It's kinda hard to fly blind though. Please......any info would be useful! Thanx in advance.:( :( :(

mudslinger

Jun 26, 2001
So far thats all I've found as well. Wonder what the differences are between them. Maybe a longer stroke or a displacement issue I guess. This is beggining to become a problem with this manual. I may end up selling the bike because of it. I really had high hopes too, really frustrating to just let it set there and not be able to dive into it. Without a bunch of guesswork that is. Overall, it's in decent shape, even had it fired up once, but I had the gas turned off and killed the motor while trying to set the idle screw. Hasn't started since. I 'm in need of a coil now ( I think). Any guesses on what type of coil I might could swap out with? Man I need that manual. Thanx for the reply. Later....:think

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Mudslinger, this may or may not help you, but there's a manual for KDX80-420 Singles, 1979-1981 by Anton Vesely. Via Amazon you can order a second hand manual, but there's no guarantees they'll have/get one. (They state out of print, limited availability). - do a search on www.amazon.com to find the reference point.

The number is ASIN: 0892873388 (book reference, whatever that thing's called). A few people here have 80's, so maybe one of them will have the manual???
Good luck in the search.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
are you sure it's a KDX 420 and not just a KX 420?
repairmanual.com lists a microfiche for a KX 420, has all the kawasaki part numbers for the bike and runs $14.95

mudslinger

Jun 26, 2001
Thanks a lot Michelle, I bid on that joker right quick. With some luck I'll get my hands on it before long. I thought I'd covered all the bases on E-bay. Listed under motors huh. Never thought to look there. Your efforts are deeply appreciated. Many thanx. It's a KDX 420 for sure. I don't think KX's ever came with head and tail lights during that time period. I'm still not exactly sure it's the right manual or not, but I'm willing to take my chances. Hopefully I can get that monster right now, and let it take me for a spin! If I can ever help you folks with anything just ask. Be more than glad to try anyway. Michelle, you just made my long awaited weekend. Thanx again.:cool:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Glad to have helped. Please post a pic when you've got her running again (Canadian Dave has an album for all the riders/bikes, so email it to him to be added to the album too).
Hopefully you don't need a new coil, but maybe the old one could be rewound somewhere. Good luck getting the old girl back off the road ;) Have a great weekend :)

ARTISAN54

Feb 3, 2007
:ride:
mudslinger said:
Hello all, new to the board so overlook my lack of knowledge. I picked up what I thought was going to be a fun project bike. Man, has it turned out to be a project. Almost a little more than I bargained for. It's a KDX 420. I've been put off by kaw on getting a manual, but I'm on the pre-order list on all the book clubs. I can't seem to find any useful info on this bike at all. I've searched the net, but the only thing I can find is listings for a 450. I don't even know what year this thing is for sure. I'm guessing an 81, but it's just a guess. Would any of you have any other ideas on where I could find a manual? Or maybe someone knows somebody who owns or has owned one. I'm beginning to get desperate. I've worked on all the piddly stuff I can work on, but it's time to get serious. It's kinda hard to fly blind though. Please......any info would be useful! Thanx in advance.:( :( :(
HI I HAVE A KAWASAKI 1981 420KDX COMPLETE THAT RUNS WITH TITLE, PURCHASE PAPERS AND MANUAL,NEEDS SEAL IN SHIFTER AND KICK STARTER, WOULD SELL IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT! WICHITA,KANSAS

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I hate to burst in bubbles but this thread is 5 1/2 years old.
I haven't seen Michelle post in a long, long time.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
BSWIFT said:
I hate to burst in bubbles but this thread is 5 1/2 years old.
I haven't seen Michelle post in a long, long time.
I still visit briefly. Busy with life & work. Not riding the KDX much, but still got the ol' 200. Can't see any reason to upgrade even though I suffer new bike envy ;) Them orange things don't appeal & if they do, I'll take hubby's 400 for a ride & that'll fix that.
Oooh, those white blue things look good (white YZF250 & 450), but no button & riding in mud wouldn't be good ;) Just a sexy machine.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom