vwnuts

Sep 22, 2008
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here. I have a 99 RM 80 that I have for a beater bike for the trail (yes I know not the best trail bike).

I am looking for a dirt bike for my 5'0" girl friend to ride trails and the occasional sand pit . I was searching the web for info about the 80's KDX 80's, but didn't find a whole lot. I was also looking at the suzuki DS80's but they look really short. I want to find something with half decent suspension without the on or off power of motocross 2 strokes.

Anyone have any advice? I realize older bikes will need some work. Thanks.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
They are very good trail bikes. They DO NOT have a lightswitch powerband. No liquid cooling, no disc brakes, no power valves = cheap maintenanace or cheap way to get a beater back into good shape. Getting one into shape is a lot chepaer than buying a new, off the floor KLX140, TT-R125, etc.

vwnuts

Sep 22, 2008
Thanks for the info! I was thinking along the same lines as what you said above. They are a little hard to find, but I think it would make a worthwhile starter bike for a shorter rider. She sat on an XR80 at the dealer and the size was very good for her. An XR100 was a bit tall for a woods bike. The KDX 80s look a little more advanced than the suzuki DS 80.

I assume even a mildly tuned 80cc 2 stroke would have better power than say an XR 80? Any major pitfalls to those engines?

I need to find myself a good woods beater, too. The RM 80 wears me out in the woods. Its fun, but a workout. I may try a smaller front sprocket. I find I spend alot of time rowing through 1st and 2nd gears.

Mar 18, 2006
I don't know exactlywhen the model changes occurred. I think you might be able to figure that out at "Just KDX". We have had an '82 and an '87 kdx80. The '87 has a more balanced suspension set-up and therefore handles better. It also seemed to have a little better bottom end (power wise). The cylinder coating is not very good, but can last if taken care of by top end maintenance. They are great bikes overall. If you lucked out and found a later '80's one in good shape, it would be a great find. If you found an earlier model in good shape, it would also be acceptable. Old bikes can sometimes be a pain to get parts for (I could not find a condensor for the '82, for example). The later models have a magneto, not points like the earlier ones. I think your best choice would be one of these kdx's in good shape. Unfortunately, that may be hard to find. Don't buy a clapped-out one. It will only give you grief. I bought 2 within 2 days of each other. One turned out to be excellent, one was a pain.You might have to sacrifice some performance desires for reliability, and buy something else.

vwnuts

Sep 22, 2008
Are these cylinders sleevable? Does sleeving a cylinder make them more durable? I saw some sleeves on ebay for the KDX 80. I wouldn't mind spending some $$ now if it would make it more durable and last long time.

Thanks again for all the info.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
A sleeve is not as durable as a plated cylinder. Have it replated and do proper maintenance. It will last a long time without being the bore shop guy's new best friend.

Top Bottom