trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
Ok, while taking my head and cylinder off for some winter hop-ups, I didn't hold the advance lever arm as securely as I probably should have. I've been warned to check the pin to see if it's bent or broken now. Other than removing the side case, is there another way? I removed the clutch cover, but don't see the pins from there. Anyone with advice?
Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
How do you determine that you didn't hold something as you should have unless there is a consequence? Did something break? The holding tool slipped?

Anyway, you need to remove the side case to see stuff.

If indeed something bad happened (like the holding tool slipped and the force of the unscrew of the nut was applied to the rod) you might consider just replacing the rod. The consequence of a tweaked rod breaking while riding can be a huge disaster.

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
I used the manual which didn't mention holding anything at all. I'm usually careful enough not to break things, but wanted to be sure. I removed the inner clutch cover and have checked everything and it all seems intact. Jeff Fredette said that without holding the rod securely, it was highly likely that one or both of the pins could be bent or broken. They look fine, but I may replace them anyway.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
If you already have the cylinder head and clutch cover off, I'd recommend biting the bullet and pulling the right side cover to inspect. Better that than reassembling everthing only to find out that the pin was broken. Or bent so that it breaks in a few hours.

Last edited:

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
I have rebuilt several KDX top ends and never used a holding tool on the advancer shaft, and have never had a problem. In fact. I worked on one bike where a so-called professional mechanic had not been aware of the reverse thread on the nut at the end of the shaft and had twisted off the end of the shaft. The pin still was not broken.

louis

Sep 2, 2002
With the clutch removed you can just see the pin and the bracket that carries it with a small mirror. Again, don't take the chance. Pull the case and be sure. buykawasaki.com has a good picture of what you need. Part #13236-1260 screws to the shaft with 2 socket head cap screws. Remember Locktite. You don't want this pin to break from the bracket and get into the clutch/kickstart/drive gears. I always support the shaft during removal of the nut.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by McRider
I have rebuilt several KDX top ends and never used a holding tool on the advancer shaft, and have never had a problem.

McRider, don’t take this as a flame attack, but there is word for folks like you: LUCKY. The advancer shaft pin problem is well known and pops up on this forum regularly. The previous owner of my bike was a mechanical hose head who WELDED :scream: the left hand nut to the advancer shaft (no doubt after ruining it in the same manner as the guy you described) . The pin in my case was bent and not broken, so it just goes to show you that luck can play a part – but do you want to rely upon it? In the last couple of years I’ve seen this pin break on two KDX’s who’s owners I ride with. These guys were not so lucky and the loose pin rattling around tore up the clutch baskets pretty good (one guy didn’t figure it out until the pin jammed up somewhere and his bike wouldn’t shift).

Originally posted by trsrdr
Jeff Fredette said that without holding the rod securely, it was highly likely that one or both of the pins could be bent or broken. They look fine, but I may replace them anyway.

Besides, Jeff Fredette has rebuilt more KDX’s than you and I will ever see in a lifetime, and if this problem is on his radar screen, that’s good enough for me.

Depending on the amount of force needed by trsdr to remove the nut, the pin may or may not be ok, but you need to inspect it to be sure. For a bike that’s already got the jug off for a top end, we’re only talking about a side cover gasket and a couple of hours of wrenching.

Last edited:
Top Bottom