KDX Carb Differences?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Yes and No.

Both are 35mm Keihin PWK carburetors however the ‘95+ use a #5 slide verses the #6 slide (leaner) in the ‘89-‘94. Further, the ‘95+ uses an Air Striker body where as the ‘89-’94 use a standard PWK body. The Air Striker body is 2mm taller and this affects the characteristics of the needle & slide.

With that said you could use either model in either bike. They'll both do their job after proper setup.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Don't know. I'm sure Dan could tell us all of the differences.

Terry H

Oct 6, 2002
The 200SR (Jap domestic model)can be identified by a steel tank, 19 inch rear wheel (I think this is interchangeable with the "R" model) and it also had oil injection as well as the noticeably smaller carb

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by Jim Crenca
Are their any internal differences?

H-model KDX PWK carbs are a hybrid. Air Striker body, but it's not a full Air Striker. The slides, for one thing, are not compatible with earlier model KDX's with PWK carbs. The "H" model KDX slide has a recessed bottom, while the slide from the std PWK on older models has a flat bottom.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Just found out from Ron @ R&B that 94' & earlier main jet nozzles are located 1.5 mm lower in the block than 95' & later.

Jim
Oh yeah, Ron asked me to send my carb back when I get a second so he can retrofit to 95' specs (so late model jetting threads will be more accurate for me)... and he wants to do it for free.
You go to know I'm sending a $50 bill in that box!

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
Houndog,
That pretty much cover's the differences between the 90 and 95 carbs. There are a few other differences in some of the othe KDX carb's also. Around 99-00 the 200's began to show up with another air-striker feature which is a notch that is cut into the jet screen. The 220's still come without this notch and because of their smaller bore and the way that the pilot circuit's exit hole is drilled into the carb body, this hole is at a slightly different angle and the exit-pilot hole is smaller. --Dan

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…