Dakota Kid

Jun 3, 2006
Hi Guys,

I have a couple of KDX's and am wondering if anyone has recommendations on new chain and sprockets. Should I go Stock, Aftermarket, O-ring or std chain, etc. I do mostly woods riding and and would prefer long life over weight reduction. I have one KDX that came with an O-ring chain which is wearing well but the stock sprockets are cupping over badly after 1 season of weekend riding. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Dakota Kid

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If I remember correctly, 220s came with and o ring chain and the 200s with a non oring chain. Use only replacement oring chain and replace chain and sprokets at the same time. Probably one season is all you will get from chain and sprokets if you ride regularly. Ride safe John

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Definitly go o-ring. I've been running Primary Drive stuff from Rockymountainatv. Cheap, and seems to work well.

However, after running into someone that was using Ironman sprockets I am sold, I will be dropping the cash on those next. He said he changes the chain every 130 hours, and was on the 3rd chain. His sprocket looked like new, even with over 260 hours of 510cc's worth of abuse by a AA desert scramble rider. I figure I'm getting about 40 hours our of my stuff, then it all needs replacing. He was running an hour meter, I am just guesstimating my time.

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
I just bought the Primary Drive gold, X-ring chain for 55 bucks! I think that's a pretty good deal. I have two seasons on the old RK o-ring chain, heavy trail riding, light racing. We'll see how this one holds up.

Top Bottom